Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cd burner and dvd player are missing  (Read 3515 times)

Tiny

cd burner and dvd player are missing
« on: February 13, 2005, 09:55:43 PM »
 :'(
I am using XP pro.  I have had my CD/dvd burner operational for about 2 years.   I added a dvd player about a year ago.   They both worked fine for a long time.   I just went to use it tonight and the drive letters are missing.   When I reboot I watch and see that my BIOS knows they are there.   In my device manager they are listed but with a problem.   If I try to add new hardware I am told the drivers are present but the hardware can not be found.   It does not work in safe mode either.   I have tried used doug knox's cd fix file with out success.   Any ideas what is wrong.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: cd burner and dvd player are missing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 12:59:49 PM »
Alright... This happened to me once... Go back to the device manager, find the CD drive(s), right-click on one of them, and hit update drivers... (Make sure that you are connected to the internet...) Now, just hit next for any box that it gives you about installing hardware... Repeat these steps to fix the other drive... Also, have you tried running a Windows Update by going to http://www.microsoft.com ? They usually have hardware drivers on there, so have a look... Keep in touch...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Tiny

Re: cd burner and dvd player are missing
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 08:22:12 AM »
Alright... This happened to me once... Go back to the device manager, find the CD drive(s), right-click on one of them, and hit update drivers... (Make sure that you are connected to the internet...) Now, just hit next for any box that it gives you about installing hardware... Repeat these steps to fix the other drive... Also, have you tried running a Windows Update by going to http://www.microsoft.com ? They usually have hardware drivers on there, so have a look... Keep in touch...

Thanks for the suggestion.   Unfortunately it did not help.   I found this on another board.  It fixed my issue.

The web site was.  http://forums.techguy.org/t276001&highlight=burner+missing.html

Restore Missing CD or DVD Drive
Reports have filtered in that CD or DVD drives will suddenly cease to exist in XP systems. Most often this has been reported in conjunction with program installations and Windows upgrades, but it has also happened for no apparent reason. This tweak will restore the missing drives after a reboot.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data values.
Exit Registry and Reboot

Hope this helps someone else