Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop is wider than display: Windows XP  (Read 2964 times)

yoleo

Topic Starter

Starter

Desktop is wider than display: Windows XP
    « on: June 15, 2008, 04:13:47 PM »
    Symptoms:  To view stuff on the desktop that is to the right of the screen I have to touch the mouse pointer to the far right side and then the screen will automatically scroll over to the portion of the desktop that is out of view.  To get back to the left side I touch the left side with the pointer.

Result Desired:  I want the desktop to fit within the size of my display.  (Thanks in advance for help on this)

Related Facts:  This only happens when someone uses the Guest User login and then I switch to my login.

Video Card: Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (on mother board) of a Dell Dimension 3000

Theory:  I had a wide screen monitor attached to this computer at one time and when in the Guest User it sets it to this wider screen size?  Though what doesn't make sense about this theory is that if it thinks the screen is wider than it is then one would think it would not automatically scroll over to the part of the desktop that is out of view. 

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs

yoleo

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Desktop is wider than display: Windows XP
        « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 08:19:22 PM »
        If you link is implying to look at the database, I already have and can not find anything that addresses this issue.  Do you have information?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        Re: Desktop is wider than display: Windows XP
        « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 09:27:41 PM »
        Have you tried changin the resolution for the guest account?

(Right click Desktop --> Properties --> Settings tab)