Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Veeerrryyy Slllooowww connections  (Read 2777 times)

starlight59

Veeerrryyy Slllooowww connections
« on: February 12, 2005, 11:49:50 PM »
I have scanned all 113 pages of this forum section before I posted the following, but could find nothing that could help me:

I need to know if everyone has the patience of a Saint. With me it's needed - dummy I am  :-X
I am experiencing extremely slow connections - the severity is quite high, for example – it has just taken me approx 45 mins to register with Computer Hope.com and 25 mins to get into my email server to retrieve my password and I lost count of the hours just going through this forum section !!!!
Several weeks ago I ran a Registry Cleaner and that is when the problems began. At the time I had SpyBot - Search and Destroy installed in my system - it kept finding DSOExploit which I kept deleting, to no avail, I then found out that SpyBot was restoring DSO files as zipped folders, (127 in all) I deleted all of these and un-installed SpyBot.
I now have Zero Spy ware installed (for the past 3 days) this has found and taken care of any and all of the spy ware that was in here – they are now quarantined (When I say all of the spy ware, I mean the spy ware that it found) I ran a full scan with Zero Spy ware, then re-booted my pc and it ran fantastically, good as new, but when I logged in the next day it was back to the slow way as before.
I also have Ad-Aware SE Personal installed - I run this quite frequently and it ALWAYS finds something that it says has to be deleted, which I do.
My firewall is active - version is from Microsoft.
My virus protection is AVG by Grisoft - this is updated every day and is scheduled to scan automatically at 9am every day.
I have all the updates that are downloaded by Microsoft - this is also done automatically - including the latest patches.
The operating system is Optima - 56kb dial-up, and I use Internet Explorer 6. My ISP is Primus Telecom – I use Windows XP professional.
I have uninstalled ALL of the installations that I have downloaded in the past 21 months - that’s how long I have had this pc.
I asked if everyone had the patience of a saint because I know absolutely NOTHING about the inner workings of a pc - I take help readily and am very good at following instructions. Apart from that, I am an experienced pc user and do know my way around - eg: if I was told to go into the registry I know how to do that etc.
I do download music from the net, but have been doing that for 16 months now, and as was said before the current problems only started AFTER I ran the registry cleaner.
I defrag on a very regular basis, and I also delete cookies and temporary internet files from within Internet Connections (Tools)

Help Please  I am the end of my tether  :-/

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Veeerrryyy Slllooowww connections
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 08:13:48 AM »
Hey there... How much RAM do you have? Also, which registry cleaner was this?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

starlight59

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 09:24:52 PM »
Hi Flame  :)

Thank you for responding to my plea for help, I left out some important information didn't I

File System = NTFS
Capacity = 55.90gb
Free Space = 38.92gb (or 69%)

The Registry Cleaner was:

Windows Registry Repair SE 2.0

I got this from http://www.download.com

If you need to know anything else please contact me - I am in Australia and I believe the time difference is vast, so forgive me if I seem slow in responding to you  :)

Thank you once again -  Starlight59 (Sandy)

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 12:06:03 PM »
    starlight59, when you connect to internet, what speed reports your modem? (1.4 kbps, 2 kbps, 9.6 kbps, 33.6 kbps, 56 kbps) (right click on your modem picture in the taskbar, near the clock- or the icon for you connection). I don't have a modem connection (I had) and I can't tell you exactly where it is placed. Also, if you don't find there, than you may right click on Network Places, right click on modem connection and it should tell you there the speed.
    If it is not 56 kbps or 33.6 kbps then disconnect and reconnect until you get 56 or 33.6 kbps, preferably 56 kbps.
    « Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 12:06:58 PM by viking »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 12:26:47 PM »
    ...the current problems only started AFTER I ran the registry cleaner...
    The Registry Cleaner was:
    Windows Registry Repair SE 2.0...

Did you contact 3B Software to let them know?  It may be something they are aware of.

sandra rooney

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 04:47:23 PM »
    Viking, good morning  :)

my modem speed is 29.2kbps - and it doesn't matter how many time I re-boot it is always the same - nor my telephone lines as I have had them checked - not Primus either (my isp) cause they have checked for me also.

Comp Commander - hello  :)

Yes I have contacted 3B Software, did that ages ago, they said that there were no problems that they were aware of - I actually did everything I could think of before I came in here. Strangely when my auto updates from Zero Spyware, AVG and microsoft come through, they r not affected in any way????

All I know is that there is SOMETHING in my system that is causing me problems - and after 18mths of nearly owning my 'Dream Machine' and 18 months of making monthly paymentsI feel like crying every time I log in.

Anyone for a good stiff drink??  :o

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 05:07:57 PM »
    It's some Registry setting for Internet Explorer or "network configuration".  Something similar happened to me about a month ago when I "cleaned the registry with some other software.  Only one website was very slow.  No problem on the other computers or when I booted to Win98 and WinXP on the same computer.

Fortunately, I keep image backups (Symantec Ghost), so I restored a previous backup in less than 1 hour.

The only thing left to do is a WinXP (?) Repair Install.  No guarantee, but I'm out of ideas, for now.

Time to cry in the beer (Fosters ?)

starlight59

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 04:02:07 AM »
    Comp Commando,

hello and thank you AND shame on you - it's VB or Bundy and coke, nothing else will do  ;D

You and Viking might be pleased to know that my speed is now up to 33.2kbps, getting there - I dl the new yahoo toolbar today and it has Anti Spy on it/ My speed increased after running it and rebooting  :)

I am now going to go and look for the Repair Install, thanks for the suggestion. Will let you know if it works (or did you mean system restore ????)

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 11:30:46 AM »
    Try System Restore first.  If that's doesn't work, it's Repair Install (boot from CD).

Don't ruin the good stuff with Coke!!