Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop power supply  (Read 3595 times)

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    laptop power supply
    « on: February 14, 2005, 02:30:08 PM »
    Hey all,I've got an hp xt395 laptop that has a problem with the power pin.Where the a/c power cord goes into the unit,that little pin is loose and gives me an intermittant loss of a/c power,thus causing the battery to not charge.My question is,can that be fixed or does the mobo need replaced?If it can be fixed,how in the world does that case come apart? Thanks for any help!
    WRWSS

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: laptop power supply
      « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 02:47:11 PM »
      wrwss.......Well , my immediate thought is ...is this mchine still under warantee .....and have you asked HP about it ?
      LOL ....oh yes , if you arent experienced in servicing  laptops don't even think about opening it up ...your just asking for trouble.

let us know

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 02:48:51 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • PITTSBURGH,PA.
        « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 02:56:45 PM »
        No , the thing is 3 months out of warranty! So,do you know what I'm talking about? I know I've seen this condition posted on here before but I'm unable to find it.Is that as hard to take apart as it looks? And am I right,is that piece of the mobo?Anyways,the thing is useless without being able to charge the battery so I was wondering how bad can it be to take apart?
        WRWSS

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 03:11:12 PM »
        We know exactly what you're talking about.  If you think it's easy to take apart, then do it.  If you screw it up, don't blame us.

Or take it to a service shop and pay.  I'm guessing about $100-200.  It's all labor, the part is about $2.

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • PITTSBURGH,PA.
          « Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 03:28:36 PM »
          what is the part,the pin?Of course I wouldnt blame you guys,all of you guys rule,thats why I'm here,to learn and try to help.Do any of you guys know where to find on-line manuals for laptop disassembly?I cannot find any.
          WRWSS

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 04:15:28 PM »
          1st you will need a service manual, you'll never get it apart without one.

HP doesn't have manuals "on-line".  Another reason to buy a Dell.

The power plug is not the pin, it's the entire receptacle.  You need the right size and there are hundreds of different sizes.  It looks like this:

If it's attached to motherboard, new mobo is either $400 or $700.  If the computer will be trash, anyway, start taking it apart.  Take photos so you'll remember how to put it back together.  This will be a big project and will take many hours of work.  It's not impossible, if you have the patience of a watchmaker and the precision of a diamond cutter.  Everything is really small.  If you can unsolder the connector, you can find one somewhere.
          « Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 04:27:36 PM by Computer_Commando »

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • PITTSBURGH,PA.
            « Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 04:30:41 PM »
            Thank you computer_commando!!! Much appreciated
            WRWSS