Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot get on internet  (Read 5842 times)

Devjr

Cannot get on internet
« on: February 13, 2005, 10:18:20 AM »
Hey all, i'm using this forum because i cannot figure out what is wrong with my computer.  I'm running windows 2000 pro and just recently, i think i got an influx of viruses.  i used Panda Titanium anti-virus which seemed to do the trick, but for about a month now, i cannot get onto my internet.  I have cable modem and just replaced my network card last night, after which, my internet worked fine for about 2 minutes.  Now, when i open IE, it just hangs and then gives me a DNS error.  The other computer hooked up on my LAN can get the internet fine.  Any idea what the problem is?  I've checked all my network settings, took off the firewall protection on Panda and i still can't figure it out.  Please give me some ideas as to what might be wrong.  Thanks.

Computer_Commando

Re: Cannot get on internet
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 10:46:28 AM »
Does you LAN use a router?  Are you getting an IP address from the router?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000445.htm
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000483.htm

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 03:03:11 PM »
    I think the problem is with your network setings. Again check them....
    do take care of you and others

Devjr

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 04:43:28 PM »
    i've checked my router, my ipconfig, pinged my computer and everything seems fine.  When i open IE, it will transmit signal, but when it is "waiting for reply" it will hang and then give me DNS error.  I'm pretty sure it's not the router because the other computer on my network runs fine and i haven't changed any settings on my own computer.  and like i said, when i changed LAN cards, it worked fine for about 2 minutes.  I even switched PCI slots thinking maybe one PCI slot went bad, but that didn't work either.  any other ideas?