Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: connecting old computer to the internet?  (Read 3403 times)

rhine

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

connecting old computer to the internet?
    « on: June 13, 2008, 09:48:38 PM »
    Hi I have a comcast scientfic America modem and I am trying to connect to the internet through a usb cable.  I am running windows 2000 pro.  This is really all I know about the computer.  I do not know about the drivers or anything.  I tried to connect using the comcast install cd but it would say connection none.
      I guess my first question is do I need to install drivers.  Which ones?  Should I burn them to a cd and then install?  I also tried the windows install wizard but it did not work either.   Do I need to buy an ethernet card?  I will be connecting the computer alone, with no other computers.  Thanks

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: connecting old computer to the internet?
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 10:51:16 PM »
    I am trying to connect to the internet through a usb cable
    You need a LAN cable. They aren't expensive. It plugs into the router and into your computer.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 03:01:02 AM »
    I am trying to connect to the internet through a usb cable
    You need a LAN cable. They aren't expensive. It plugs into the router and into your computer.

Some DSL modems/routers connect through USB. I had one for a long time like that.

Rhine, do you know the exact make and model of your router is? (look on the bottom, there's usually a sticker)

DouglasC

Rookie

• Peedy is good at swearing, I've discovered.
      « Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 03:35:16 AM »
      As a general rule they connect via the same USB cables printers and the like use.
      That's Peedy over there in my avatar, playing psychiatrist. Peedy (C) Microsoft, not me. Although I do like him!

When you want advice on foodstuffs, you should come to me. I'm no professional chef, but I love food. I eat it, you know.

rhine

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 08:07:19 AM »
        The modem is model dpc2100r2
        p/n 4013709
        hw rev; 2.1
        scientific atlanta
          I tried the ethernet cable as well, it works for my laptop, but not this desktop.  The usb cable came in the comcast pack.  One end plugs into the back of the router, the other into the back of the computer. 

DouglasC

Rookie

• Peedy is good at swearing, I've discovered.
          « Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 05:44:38 PM »
          http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/consumers/new_cablemodems_drivers.htm

Download the bottom download (it's 45MB), and download the updating drivers on Windows 2000 file.
          That's Peedy over there in my avatar, playing psychiatrist. Peedy (C) Microsoft, not me. Although I do like him!

When you want advice on foodstuffs, you should come to me. I'm no professional chef, but I love food. I eat it, you know.

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
            « Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »
            let us know how u go with that

Broni

Mastermind
            • Kraków my love :)
              • Computer Help Forum
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 06:04:50 PM »
            let us know how u go with that
            He knows.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »
            Have you gone to Make New Connection via Contrtol Panel/Network and Modem settings yet ? ? ?
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rhine

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 01:50:36 PM »
                 Patio  I tried everything windows has to offer.  there is one thing, it says enter ip address manually, but I read that will not work.  I downloaded everything required on one cd,  Winrar unzipped everything onto one screen.  I tried to unzip setup.exe but nothing.  I will go back and put each download on separate cd.  Is there a simple way to down load files to cd.  Once I got the files on the d drive I just click write these files to cd-