Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem when I use "Safely Remove Hardware"  (Read 5897 times)

kburra

Beginner

Re: Problem when I use "Safely Remove Hardware"
    « Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »
    Try using this:
    A program that allows you to quickly remove USB devices in Windows. It was originally designed to remove only USB pen drives but will now eject any USB device.You probably have several thumb drives. They're great for toting around your documents.

Not only are thumb drives convenient, they're more durable than CDs and floppy discs. Still, you need to remove them correctly from the USB port.

Windows has the Safely Remove Hardware option. But this is cumbersome. You get several dialog boxes before you can eject a drive. And then there's the aggravating message you get when the drive is ready to be removed.

It’s especially useful when dealing with multiple USB devices and for Vista users who don’t want the ‘now safe to remove this device’ dialog box to appear.

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/usb-disk-ejector

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 08:35:12 PM »
    That's the problem, kb -- doclee shouldn't be getting any kind of error or disconnect message being "driven" by his ADSL modem.  It should just stay connected.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

doclee

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Not quite a Silver Surfer, more of a dull grey.
      « Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 11:03:07 AM »
      Gentlemen,

I apologise for the inordinate delay in coming back to you with a progress report - a combination of having to work away with no access to the net and somewhat tortuous discussions with my ISP.  That said, what progress?

No luck so far.  Neither a clean re-install of the software nor the use of a new modem have solved the problem.  After much humming and ha-ing by the IT blokes at the ISP they have plumped for this being a problem with the "Safely Remove Hardware" programme in the Windows XP operating system.

Does this sound reasonable and, if so, what might I do about it - please, don't suggest re-installing Windows XP!!  If this doesn't sound reasonable, what might be your suggestion(s).

Many thanks for your continuing help.

doclee