Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transformer Blew up my computer, sort of  (Read 6201 times)

rocgrey

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Transformer Blew up my computer, sort of
    « on: June 17, 2008, 11:05:16 AM »
    Saturday night a transformer blew in my neighborhood.  My computer was on, so once the power came back, my display did not, though when turned off and then back on, the name Dell comes up then monitor goes black.  I pressed a button the monitor and it says asleep.  Also my mouse is not working.  I have checked all the connections, everything is OK.  I can only think it may be a hardware problem.  I have no clue where to begin to fix the problem.  I have Windows 2000.  It is a Dell and I don't know about what video card, etc it comes with.

Thanks, Linda  :-\

stevejohnson1958

Re: Transformer Blew up my computer, sort of
    « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:29:40 AM »
    Linda...

Were any of your computer components connected to a surge suppressor when this incident occurred?

If not...it may be a good idea to invest in one at this particular time.  It may, in fact, be a hardware issue...

Can you try a different monitor and mouse?

Does Windows boot at all?
    « Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 09:57:31 AM by Saviour »

rocgrey

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Transformer blew my computer up, sort of
      « Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »
      Yes, everything was on a surge protector. I believe Windows is booting up, but have no actual way of checking since my monitor is not working.  I don't understand why "Dell" would come up on the monitor when I turn it off then back on and then goes blank.  Mouse doesn't work at all and I'm planning to take another one home to try.  I can borrow another monitor to try and see if both of those are the issue.  TY

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 12:05:10 PM »
      You're welcome...

Here's something to try, as well...

Power off your computer and all peripherals.  Unplug the suppressor from the wall and then plug it in again.

Also, try unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in gain...if it wasn't connected to the suppressor...okay?

Plug everything back in again...and power back up...booting into Windows to see if the problem persists.

Keep us posted...

rocgrey

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
        Ok, thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it and will let you know.  Linda

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 02:12:05 PM »
        Sometimes surge protectors sacrifice themselves to save your equipment. They have a component inside that gets zapped so your computer does not. It might last so many small surges or maybe one big one. So try a different one.

rocgrey

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »
          Great idea, ty!

fpsmitch

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »
            it may just be me, but this soundslike a hard drive issue.
            it seems to me that everything is working properly and when it goes to boot there is no data on the drive.
            maybe the elsectricity wiped the drive, like a magnet for instance.
            just a hunch

Dias de verano

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:18:37 AM »
            I don't understand why "Dell" would come up on the monitor when I turn it off then back on and then goes blank.

My Dell monitor at work does that. They show their brand name on the screen when you turn them on. Then if there is no signalinput from a computer, they go into standby.

Sounds like your monitor is the only thing that is working.

rocgrey

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 07:00:08 AM »
              Well guys, I tried everything, nothing worked.  I took a mouse home, tried that, it doesn't work, nor the keyboard.  Thanks for the help.

L

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 07:54:01 AM »
              New video card, perhaps? Does the computer power-up, and you just can't see it? Any beeps? etc.

also, fpsmitch, it COULD be a hard drive issue, but it is somewhat improbable- she had it connected to a surge suppressor, and even if something were to get past the surge suppressor, the PC power supply is designed to sacrifice itself if necessary. Also, even if the drive got a surge, the data would not suddenly "wipe" the drive. (unless for some stupid reason the manufacturer decided that whenever voltages went outside necessary limits, that the HD would consciously wipe itself. The Controller, however, could be damaged, thus causing all data to be inaccessible... if that were the case, however, the computer would still start up and be visible, just with a "missing operating system" or similar error.

Also, I'm curious- if you can't see anything on the screen, how do you know the mouse doesn't work? If you had an optical mouse and the mouse's red-eye is off.... that is NOT a good sign at all. Either the USB hub was severely damaged- or, more likely the motherboard was fried.
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rocgrey

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 08:06:49 AM »
                Yes, the computer will boot up, the monitor comes on for an instant w/Dell logo, green light and beeps.  Then the monitor goes off and light goes yellow.  So when I press the button on the monitor, it says in away mode, press any key, etc.  I also have an optical mouse which didn't light up.  No lights on keyboard.  Doesn't sound good I know and I appreciate all of the help.

L

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 09:55:06 AM »
                  rocgrey, I assume that you are no longer running the computer or anything else through your surge protector at this stage (i mean the one that was there during the transformer episode). If you have access to another computer for a while i would suggest trying your various computer peripherals (one at a time) to see which ones if any still work. This will narrow down the location of the problem. Don't worry about the latest drivers or performance (such as best video levels for the monitor)--at this point we are only trying to find out the extent of the problem and isolate it's location. Have you tried plugging something into the original surge protector at the various outlets to see what they do? ie--work or not?truenorth

Dias de verano

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 09:55:28 AM »
                  more likely the motherboard was fried.

Agreed. I'd think about a UPS for the future.

rocgrey

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 10:21:15 AM »
                    Yes, I went through everything, one by one and still had the same problem.  I also had a TV hooked up to this surge protector and it still works.  I have another one in place, still nothing.