Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Corrupted Favorites Folder?  (Read 7262 times)

maryj459

Corrupted Favorites Folder?
« on: February 15, 2005, 11:35:44 AM »
Some how my Favorites Folder has gotten corrupted. I cannot find the folder in the default directory.  When I click on favorites in IExplorer 6 SP2 there's nothing listed except Add or Organize.  When I try to add to the favorites - nothing happens, when I try to organize - nothing shows up, and when I try to create a folder under organize - I get an error message that says "Unspecified Error - Error: 306". I can't even import a backup.htm file.  What's Happened??  HELP!!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Corrupted Favorites Folder?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 12:53:55 PM »
Do you have virus protection? Spyware protection? Have you been keeping up with your Windows Updates?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

maryj459

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 01:27:07 PM »
I'm running McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.1.0.  I use AdAware and SpyBot to routinely clean my hard drive from spyware, etc...I also have all the current updates.  (I tend to tweak my pc and probably screwed something up myself....)  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 01:28:04 PM by maryj459 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 01:49:48 PM »
    maryj459........If your using Win xp or Xp pro ......AND......
    If your certain you don't have any virus infestations ........use your system restore and set the restore back to just before your favourites file became corrupt .  What is it you find necessary to tweak ?

Let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 01:50:48 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

maryj459

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 03:19:38 PM »
    Tried that...didn't work.  Checked my registry to make sure everything was correct in HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Explorer/User Shell Folders...it was....

Also tried to reinstall Internet Explorer, not sure if I did it right, but it didn't work either....aaargh!

Any other ideas?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 03:46:13 PM »

maryj459

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 06:17:56 AM »
    I'm usig a networked version of McAfee and don't see this option.  I"m not sure this is it because I'm the only one on the network with this problem, but I'll check.

I wouldn't mind rebuilding my favorites folder from scratch, but this problem won't let me create new folders or import a backup while in IExplorer.  When I try to go directly to my user directory and either create a new file called favorites, or cut and past from another source, I get an error message that tells me a file with this name (Favorites) already exists, but I can't see it!  I've got all my hidden folders viewable, too!   What now?