Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! Cannot install my new Nikon Coolpix and I think its a driver issue...  (Read 2815 times)

Hayles99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hi There,

I just bought a Nikon Coolpix camera, and Microsoft 2000 Professional is not recognizing it. I tried scanning for driver updates to no avail. Wondering if anyone else might be able to help me out with this....

Thanks!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Did any CD come with the camera?

Hayles99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

yes, the cd is installed, but the computer wont read the camera. its hooked up to the only USB port that is available, the cord came with the camera... i tried updating the drivers, im not sure whats going on.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      So, when you plug in the USB cable to the computer and the camera, and you turn on the camera, Windows 2000 does not detect a new device?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Hayles99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

exactly, its so weird.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        Do you have a different cable you can try?  (I know it's probably one with a "regular" USB plug at one end, and a mini-USB plug at the other.)

Hayles99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

it is one of those specific ones for the camera with the tiny connector to the camera on one end and the normal usb on the other.

The computer can recognize that something is connected, it just wont recognize the camera itself. The driver doesnt have a record of that specific nikon model, so i tried updating the driver and it didnt do anything. Im not much of a computer person, obviously, but i can usually trouble shoot little things like this.... im at a total loss with this stupid camera. I mean, i can take out the memory card and transfer the photos at like CVS or something, but that could get costly in the long run.

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
            try visiting Nikon's website for windows 2000 drivers as they might be different to the ones on the disk.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
              • Yes
            What model Coolpix is it?

I can find support software, but not "driver" software on the Nikon site.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            Normally with USB devices the Software needs to be installed first before the device is hooked up...is this how you did it ? ?
            If not go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and remove the Nikon software.
            Power down and unplug the Camera.
            Re-install the software and it will prompt you for when to connect the camera.

P.S. Is it showing up in the Scanner and Camera section of Control Panel ? ?
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Hayles99

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I did install the software first, then connected the camera and turned it on as the instructions specified to do. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software a few times. The computer just doesnt want to communicate with this camera.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
                • Yes
              What specific Coolpix model is the camera, please?