Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building my website - My Journey  (Read 11158 times)

NonTechyMom

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Geek Wannabe! :-)
    Re: Building my website - My Journey
    « Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 09:38:49 PM »
    In the past, I have spent many hours developing my own logo.

I am using the logo, plus all the drafts to come up with a banner that is really cool.

Steps to get to my own logo....

I created the logo in a $10 scrapbooking program from Walmart, and used that in conjunction with a VERY old version of Power Point to create the mixed colors and light for the banner. So, now I have a nice logo and banner that I created myself.

Then I put it in another photo $10 program (a generic photo shop) I got from Wal-mart to make it into a JPEG.

BUT, because of the way I made it, it may not work well on my website, so this is where I am going to cheat a little, but I still saved myself some money.

I am paying a professional Logo person to take my logo and put the pro spin on it, PLUS make it web-site ready.

Here is the issue you may run into when putting something on your website that you created. If you don't know what you are doing, it could end up looking "streched" or it may not look the way you want it to.
    Plus, it needs to be browser and modem speed friendly. 

To get someone to prepare my logo for my website is $50.

Money and time spent - many hours on my logo - the experience was SO well worth it.

$50 getting the rough logo and getting it turned into something I can use on any website I want to.

*** You do not have to create your own logo. Templates come with great logos that are free. You can use these for as long as you wish, or until you can pay someone to get you a special logo. This is a cost you can incur later. BTW - If you get someone to create your logo from scratch, it will be more expensive. ****
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 05:25:40 AM by NonTechyMom »
    If you have never risked anything, you will never have anything to risk.

- LT Blake

If you haven't failed at something today, you are not living or working hard enough. - LT Blake

NonTechyMom

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Geek Wannabe! :-)
      Building my website - My Journey
      « Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 05:28:10 AM »
      My head is hurting a little from trying to learn all the website stuff, so I am going to take a break and start applying for my other applications.

I am applying for a forum at simple machines, an account at Google adsense, and paypal for businesses.
      If you have never risked anything, you will never have anything to risk.

- LT Blake

If you haven't failed at something today, you are not living or working hard enough. - LT Blake

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »
      Are you also paying for server space then, as well as registering the domain name? If you plan to keep your site online for more then a few months it would probably be cheaper (in the long run) to set up your own server. (on the other hand, that is a whole new ball game- from web site building to hardware...)
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
      If you plan to keep your site online for more then a few months it would probably be cheaper (in the long run) to set up your own server.
      With good, reliable, web hosting plans available for as little as $4/mo., plans which are adequate for many small business sites, I say don't even give this idea a thought?   

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 11:07:40 PM »
      If you plan to keep your site online for more then a few months it would probably be cheaper (in the long run) to set up your own server.
      With good, reliable, web hosting plans available for as little as $4/mo., plans which are adequate for many small business sites, I say don't even give this idea a thought?  

sorry I misread her posts- I thought she was paying in the ballpark of 80-90$ a month- almost as if they were renting here a server or something anyway.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.