Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: lan on work computer  (Read 1936 times)

summer

Topic Starter

Rookie

lan on work computer
    « on: June 21, 2008, 03:31:16 PM »
    Hello again...I have another question...my husband has LAN on his work computer where he says they are controlling all his internet whereabouts...but he has Internet Exp. and I'm not sure what the difference is? Is this giving him a window to still go outside LAN undetected? He can not send email other than work through his Lan network...does Internet Exp. help him to bypass this?
    Summer

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: lan on work computer
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »
    Using Internet Explorer does not provide a way of bypassing the LAN.  In a work environment, the employer is entitled to set controls over computer use.  Besides, trying to circumvent such controls is not a wise thing to do; it could get a person into trouble.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: lan on work computer
    « Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 11:09:49 PM »
    Perhaps the user is not deliberately trying to circumvent the Internet controls placed on his work environment.  Perhaps the I/T department has done a poor job.

I once worked in an office where the managers bragged that we couldn't surf the Internet, although they allowed us (supposedly) access to one web page for a network news affiliate (so we could keep track of anything major going on in the outside world.)  Well, once we went to that page, we could click any link that was available to that page.  (I don't remember if we could enter URL's of our choice, but we weren't as "blocked" from the 'net as our managers liked to brag.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"