Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer having trouble booting  (Read 2109 times)

dreamscerulean

computer having trouble booting
« on: June 22, 2008, 11:43:22 PM »
My computer is having trouble when Im trying to turn it on. Sometimes It boots up without issue, more often it shows a black screen that shows cpu temperature along with various components being identified and on the bottom tells me to insert boot disk. If I try to turn it off and back on it either returns to this screen or reaches a blue screen that says windows failed to load, if this is your first time seeing this message... (slight paraphrasing) If I wait a few hours it then boots up without problems. During use the system sometimes freezes. I had this problem about a week ago and a friend of mine said that it was probably either spyware or a virus. There had been problems leading up to it such as slowdown and problems booting until the computer would simply not boot up. We talked and because I didn't have anything important he suggested reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling xp. The computer worked fine for two or three days and then began acting like this again. Previously there had been no issues with it for about five months. This is a home built pc that is used for little more than light gaming and internet. Im usually careful online and with emails and currently have avvist antivirus loaded. Basic system stats are amd 64x2 cpu, biostar motherboard, 2 gigs (corsair?) ram, western digital hard drive, and a low end diamond graphics card. The computer is built around a a xcube case. Midrange parts bought from newegg, no issues in the original build. My cpu averages around 25 to 30 degrees C and my hard drive around 23 to 25 according to the case readouts. There is no abberent noice comming from the case. Im wondering if its a bad hard drive and am seeking imput before i start buying parts. Just want to fix this problem before my system completely crashes again...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 11:54:04 PM by dreamscerulean »

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: computer having trouble booting
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 03:05:54 AM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

Suggest you run disk diagnostics prog from the hdd manufacturer's site and ram diagnostics Memtest86 from here..

Good luck
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

starfireone

Starter

Re: computer having trouble booting
    « Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:22:49 AM »
    I had a problem much like yours a few months back.  It turned out to be a bad boot sector on my hard drive.  The Windows registry kept getting corrrupted and the system would not boot up into Windows.  I reformated and reinstalled Windows only to have it work Ok for a few days before it would not bootup again.  I turned around and bought a new hard drive, installed OS and the system has been working like a charm ever since.  Your problem might be the same.  Try running some disk diag's.  But you might have to replace your hd.  You might try upgrading your disk controler driver also if you are not using the default one that MS installs.  Third party disk controller drivers can have some bugs and cause all kinds of boot up problems and hd issues.