Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Nero burning / msvcrt.dll  (Read 2703 times)

spanielzworld

Nero burning / msvcrt.dll
« on: February 17, 2005, 08:06:00 AM »
Hi there

I recently removed Nero CD burner from my PC as it wasn't working properly. When I rebooted, I got the message msvcrt.dll missing and that I must reinstall windows 98.

Having had this problem before and not having been able to reinstall windows, I thought I would try and get the .dll file from my other computer (also win 98 ) and use DOS to move the file back into place in WNIDOWS/SYSTEM. The problem now is that DOS will not let me move the .dll from a floppy disk to the system folder.

I have tried moving files around in DOS on the other computer and it's been fine so I know it's not my knowledge of DOS syntax that's the problem! :P

Can anybody help me?

Zzyzx

Re: Nero burning / msvcrt.dll
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 08:46:00 AM »
It would have been helpful if you had mentioned the error message(s) you were getting.

DOS syntax: copy a:\msvcrt.dll c:\windows\system

If that doesn't work you can always use windows explorer and do the move/copy that way.

Good luck.  8)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:48:01 AM by Zzyzx »

spanielzworld

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 10:35:47 AM »
Hi zzyzx!

Thanks for the advice. That's the problem, that's the syntax i used and the error message i'm getting is "bad command or filename."

Re your other advice - Do I not have to be able to get into Windows to use Windows Explorer? that's the thing I can't do unfortunately...

cheers

Dan

Zzyzx

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 07:09:05 PM »
Dan,

A couple of things come to mind. Can you boot into safe mode. If you can, you should be able to do your copy and then you're good to go.

If you can't get into safe mode, boot your Win98 CD. Before you get to the actual install, there should be a few screens that will allow you to bail out with F3. Bailing out will take you to a screen with a prompt; you might be able to run your copy from there (DOS will be loaded at this point). Only problem I see here is that your loaded OS will not see FAT32 drives.

If neither of these work, use your other PC to download a bootdisk from:

http://www.bootdisk.com

Boot the problem PC with your new bootdisk. This should give you enough of an OS to do your copy.

Good luck.

8)

spanielzworld

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 03:33:18 AM »
Hey zz

Good of you to offer the advice again. thanks very much :)

But I have surprised myself by sorting it out!!

Instead of using the MOVE command in DOS I used COPY and it worked like a dream!