Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer problems  (Read 9637 times)

homer

Expert
    Re: Computer problems
    « Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »
    is the motherboard light on?

j2087

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »
      my motherboard doesn't have a light

homer

Expert
        « Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 05:26:13 PM »
        do the fans kick on when you push the power button?

j2087

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 05:31:38 PM »
          yeah the fans kick on that doesn't seem to be the issue

homer

Expert
            « Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 06:33:49 PM »
            yeah the fans kick on that doesn't seem to be the issue

it doesnt seem to be the issue but it will help me determine if the problem is the motherboard or the PSU. this is why i asked you to tell me EXACTLY what happens when you push the power button. remove one of the sticks of RAM and try booting again, if the comp doesnt boot then swap that stick of RAM with the other and see if it boots.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
              j2087,had a similar problem once. Solved it by putting in a "New" (not from another computer) HD and then did a format and partition --then installed an O/S and basically that got me up and running. I too wanted to use the Hd i had taken from another computer --so i installed it as a slave to the new one and it too was able to work.No one has asked if your "reused" hdd was properly jumpered and placed on the ide cable in the correct sequence. I assume it is the only hdd in your machine currently. So it should be jumpered to master and put at the 1st position on the ide cable. If you have access to another computer you can test the one that is currently not working in your present computer and set it to slave and connect it to the 2nd ide cable position and see what happens with it.good luck,truenorth

homer

Expert
                « Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 06:41:13 PM »
                No one has asked if your "reused" hdd was properly jumpered and placed on the ide cable in the correct sequence.

an improperly jumpered HD will not cause your comp to fail the POST, therefore, it was not asked.

j2087

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »
                  I'm pretty sure it's on master but i will check to see if i can boot the HDD from another comp. Also i would like to point out the Ram could be a problem, i went to biostars website which is the maker of the mobo and it said that it's compatible with DDR 333 and 400 and the manual says it's also compatible with DDR 266 which is what i have for memory the other thing i thought of is the memory could be registered memory which is not compatible.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
                    • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »
                  I'm pretty sure it's on master but i will check to see if i can boot the HDD from another comp.

I doubt if it will boot another computer especially if they dont have the same specs..
                   :(
                  "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
                  --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
                    jerryheavyarms, I once took a hdd out of a computer that was master with win98se plus tons of other goodies associated with it's previous residence and put it into a computer that supposedly had winxp-home (not working) on it. Removed the xp-home hdd and without any kind of alteration installed the win98se hdd into it (not same manufacturer of computer and about 4 years of age difference.It worked fine and still does on a dual O/S (now with xp-pro on 2nd hdd) Just for what it's worth (maybe not much)
                    To Homer--your right i missed the reference to "post" in j2087's thread on the posting.thanks for pointing that out.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 05:04:42 PM »
                    That's good to hear truenorth! ;D
                    Although I think it won't be the same for others.. :(
                    "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
                    --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

j2087

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 06:46:12 PM »
                      I think i'm going to replace the memory anyways, i have a feeling it could be part of the problem.

j2087

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 07:46:12 AM »
                        I have great news i swapped the memory out and my computer started right up,
                        i've been trying to figure out what was wrong for almost a year.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 08:36:02 AM »
                        Congratulations!  :)
                        --Kuya Daniel Razon

j2087

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 12:23:03 PM »