Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Automatic Shutdown due to processor fan  (Read 2250 times)

Virus Guy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Automatic Shutdown due to processor fan
    « on: June 27, 2008, 07:14:12 AM »
    Friends my system shutdowns automatically(sometimes). When i opened the cpu case i found that the processor fan is not rotating.
    Sometime the fan rotates n stops and again rotate n stop and so on.
    The fan is also making some sound like kir kir when i start the system for the first time.I have bought this system(wipro) 8 months ago.
    What may be the problem ?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Automatic Shutdown due to processor fan
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:23:58 AM »
    Your system is shutting down because the processor is most likely getting too hot without the cooling provided by the fan. It sounds like the fan may have died or be in the process of doing so. A replacement fan can be purchased, but we'd need to know your system specs (particularly the motherboard and processor type) before a recommendation can be made on what fan to purchase.

Since the computer is only 8 months old, you might also check if the CPU fan is covered under warranty as well. Then you might be able to get it replaced for free.

If it comes down to you having to pay for and replace the fan, make sure you get a decent fan. Remember that in most cases when purchasing cheap computer components... you get what you paid for.

xavier

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »
    Yes i would upgrade to a better heat sink with fan. W hen you replace it make sure you clean the thermal compoand off of the processor & apply new to processor.

rebel214

Beginner
    • They call me the "rebel"...
      « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 02:01:41 AM »
      amen to all those advices... 8)

and if you are a little bit "TIDY" (cant find the correct term for this) :-X, you can periodically open your case and check if your fan is not stuck with dirt and dust....so you can clean it by yourself(if you are "GUTSY" enough, anyway its not so hard and if you're careful) or send it to a professional service center for thorough cleaning of system.. Needs some few bucks for the budget,though.... ;D

hope this helps..... :)

P.S. For the LOVE of Computers! ;D

Everything has it's own place, in proper time...