Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: all numbers are coming up as the corresponding characters  (Read 2323 times)

TRAZER

all numbers are coming up as the corresponding characters
« on: June 27, 2008, 05:20:07 PM »
so(no the caps lock button is not down i tried to edit this but my mouse screwed me up cuz i cant click anywhere aarrgggg) i was at my dads place and my fiancee and her son decided to let the one year old baby play with the keyboard< >>

so now my keyboard works as if the shift button is permanently down for all numbers and characters like the comma button>

my mouse also automatically highlights everything above the cursor whenever i click on any page>

im using win xp pro and a microsoft keyboard with a logitech mouse>>not that the last two should really matter>>>any ideas?

thanks ahead of time

trazer

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: all numbers are coming up as the corresponding characters
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:25:46 PM »
System Restore?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:59:09 PM »
If your Shift Button is stuck down, try pressing it very hard a few times. It should release it.

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 01:58:16 AM »
I've never done this on a Microsoft keyboard, but on most keyboards I have used, you can carefully prise up a key and it will come off and you can clean underneath it. Then it will click back into place. remember there are 2 shift keys on most keyboards. You may find bits of dried food, baby drool etc under there.

I know this is being wise after the event, but letting babies play with keyboards (or computers in general IMHO) is a bad idea, not least because if you can get the keys off, so might the baby if one was a bit loose, and then it could choke either on the key or the plastic parts underneath. Also nice keyboards are not cheap. If you don't want to come over as mean to the baby, pitch the choking idea to the baby's mother. Most moms don't fancy the idea of a baby turning blue and a scary trip to the emergency room and will see the sense of choosing more appropriate playthings for the little one.