Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Won't wake up from sleep mode, and missing autocheck.exe  (Read 4043 times)

B9

Topic Starter

Won't wake up from sleep mode, and missing autocheck.exe
    « on: June 28, 2008, 07:30:02 PM »
    I've had this flat panel monitor since Christmas.  Last weekend my husband decided to clean up my computer.  Every time he touches it something goes wrong.  He managed to loose the bookmarks, wipe out my Outlook identity, and there are little gremlins all over the place it seems.

The biggest problem is that my monitor will not wake up when it goes into sleep mode.  I try everything, including turning the power to the monitor on/off.  The only thing that works is if I shutdown the whole system using the power button on the CPU.

Next is that when I start my machine it says autocheck.exe is missing (it might be autock.exe, someone moved my notes so I'd have to reboot to see it again).

Then there's the trouble with my security software.  It does the requested scans, says everything is good, but the little icon in the tray uses the "not safe" image.  We use Norton and CA Spyaware, and this is the case with the both of them.

What the heck did he do?!?!?  More important - what can I do to fix it? 

And as with the car, he is no longer allowed to TOUCH it.  He is not the expert he imagines himself to be!

truenorth

Guru

Re: Won't wake up from sleep mode, and missing autocheck.exe
      « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:49:43 AM »
      B9,I would say that your "locked in sleep mode " will be solved in your "power management" section of "control  panel".From what i have read the "hibernation" option can cause difficulties as you are describing.However you have obviously taken the necessary step to forestall a repetition of the problem by virtue of your edict."keep your cotton pickin fingers off my computers". This is exactly the methodology my own wife has taken and it works extremely well. So while your technology problem may still be "temporarily " there the domestic issue hopefully has been adequately addressed and will not be a problem in the future.goodluck and welcome to CH forums,truenorth
      « Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 09:01:21 AM by truenorth »

B9

Topic Starter

Re: Won't wake up from sleep mode, and missing autocheck.exe
        « Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
        Thanks for the suggestion.  Maybe it just had its feelings hurt, but my monitor seemed to have recover.  As of yesterday it was refusing to wake up, and today it responded with no problem.

As for the marital repair, he's having a hard time disengaging from the subject, but I have assured him I will accept full responsibility should my machine crash and burn, as it will be at my own hand.