Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP error  (Read 3485 times)

kyle232

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

XP error
    « on: June 29, 2008, 06:12:30 PM »
    Hey I'm on my sisters computer which is a Windows ME
    well anyways

I tried loadin my computer but it keeps coming up with "NTLDR Missing  restart press Ctrl-Alt-Del" and that keeps coming up
    so I tried the Recover Console that came with my XP Restore DVD
    it worked until 21% then the rest of the files couldn;t be extracted cause it says the files could't be open

so I tried to Reformat the whole computer but then it only worked until it got to 61% then it said the same thing most of the  files couldn't be open

please help
    im no computer expert but i know some things

stevejohnson1958

Re: XP error
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 06:17:38 PM »
    If you're trying to reinstall the operating system on your sister's computer...which has Windows ME installed...you can't use your XP DVD Recovery software.

You'll need to use the recovery software that came with your sister's computer...or, if you don't have this software...you'll need to contact the manufacturer and order the recovery software.

kyle232

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 06:22:33 PM »
      No no I'm not tryin to reinstall the operating system on my systers computer lol
      im just using it

my computer which is a Gateway Media Center XP is the one thats not working

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 06:27:26 PM »
      What model Gateway?  How old is it?

kyle232

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 06:35:39 PM »
        The Model is GT5238E and I got it like in January of 2007

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 06:40:35 PM »
        You can try cleaning the Recovery software disc and try again.  Sometimes, you may need to delete the partition, reformat the drive in NTFS and try the installation again.

Please note:  When using the Recovery Console...you'll wipe the computer contents and reinstall everything as it came from the factory.

You can also check to see if the computer came with a Recovery partition...which is basically a Ghost of the system as it came from the factory...and try using the recovery partition to bring your computer back to its factory settings.

kyle232

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 06:43:03 PM »
          I tired using the  Recovery partition but that didn;t help

How do I delete the Partition so I can reformat it

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 06:46:56 PM »
          Here's a guide you can use:  Windows XP Clean Install

joefido

Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »
            Saviour, you have a very nice website but your statement:

"Please note:  When using the Recovery Console...you'll wipe the computer contents and reinstall everything as it came from the factory." ...Isn't quite correct.

Using the Recovery Console, (akin to the CMD line) you can repair or delete files, repair the MBR, fix the boot partition with FIXBOOT, etc, etc. I think you were refering to using the (ASR) Automated System Recovery w/XP and that would only work if you had created an ASR disc and that would have caused you to lose everything that had been added or installed after the creation of the disc. If you were using the (So called and misleading) recovery CD supplied with the Gateway system that would restore back to the factory install, and you would lose all. Also if you know how to access the Recovery Partion in Xp that too would revert your system back to the factory install.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 08:44:28 PM »
            Saviour, you have a very nice website but your statement:

"Please note:  When using the Recovery Console...you'll wipe the computer contents and reinstall everything as it came from the factory." ...Isn't quite correct.

Using the Recovery Console, (akin to the CMD line) you can repair or delete files, repair the MBR, fix the boot partition with FIXBOOT, etc, etc. I think you were refering to using the (ASR) Automated System Recovery w/XP and that would only work if you had created an ASR disc and that would have caused you to lose everything that had been added or installed after the creation of the disc. If you were using the (So called and misleading) recovery CD supplied with the Gateway system that would restore back to the factory install, and you would lose all. Also if you know how to access the Recovery Partion in Xp that too would revert your system back to the factory install.

I can't find that quote on his page- he has this:

"Please note:  When using the Recovery Partition...you'll wipe the computer contents and reinstall everything as it came from the factory."

which is correct.

EDIT: Oh, he DID say that before. oh well.
            « Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 10:17:42 PM by BC_Programmer »
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 08:59:13 PM »
            I did say "Recovery Console", but meant "recovery partition"...my bad...it's been a long day.

And thanks for the kin words about the site...much appreciated.

At any rate, kyle232...

Your Gateway model should have come with a recovery partition...if I read the manual correctly from Gateway's website, for your particular model.

Here's what you do to recover your computer to its original factory settings...

This process will wipe the contents of the drive and reinstall everything as it came from the factory...this means you'll lose anything new you've added.

Turn your computer on and press the F11 key while it's booting...it should take you to the Gateway Recovery Program so you can get your computer back to its original state.

All you have to do is follow the onscreen instructions.

Here's the link to your User Guide...on pages 48 and 49 you'll see info about performing a system recovery.

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/8511050.pdf

kyle232

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 11:48:59 PM »
              I did boot my computer and press F11 then the Recovery thing worked up to 21% then is said    "trouble in extracting Windows/system32/config/systemprofile/Recent/AXEL.DAV couldn't open"
              then it said the same thing for wach file after that..
              it would say

"Trouble in extracting (then the file path) couldn;t be opened"

so I tried using the Restore DVD that came with the computer but then it did the same thing it stop once it got up to the AXEL.DAV

kyle232

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 04:11:22 AM »
                yea the link you have em for the   Windows XP CLean install
                i went on it and read it, it won;t work for me cause I dont have a Windows XP Home Edition

I have a Gateway XP Media Center

so i think If i erase everything off my hardrive
                it may work If i reformat it

not sure if that makes sense or not lol