Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: .net framework help  (Read 4213 times)

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

.net framework help
    « on: July 28, 2008, 06:57:20 AM »
    Recently I was having problems with zune software so I contacted microsoft support.  The person told me to try updating my .net framework and I did.  The problem was still not resolved so he asked me to change a file name, but I can't remember where and what I was told to change.  After the file name was changed he asked me to try updating .netframework again, but this time I got an error.  I told him about the error and he promptly ended the phone call.  I went to try and install .net framework 3.5 today and the install says it has encountered and error and all installed files have been removed.  I'm running on windows vista home premium.

What I'm trying to get at here, is there any way I can get .net framework back up and running without having to reinstall windows?  I don't have the windows discs, since they weren't shipped with this computer and I'd like to avoid paying for windows again.

Any help is good help, thanks in advance.
    Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows Vista.

truenorth

Guru

Re: .net framework help
      « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:12:04 AM »
      ThanksFor Help,Welcome to the CH forums. While i cannot help you with the net framework issue i do have a suggestion re your absence of an O/S disc. I urge you to get in touch with the manufacturer of your computer and insist that they send you the appropriate disc for your machine. It is often the case that none are provided at the time of purchase (i have never been able to understand the rational for that and concider it to be bordering on criminal--after all you have paid for the O/S). From personal and related stories from many others  a phone call to the manufacturer should get you the disc. goodluck,truenorth

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:30:51 AM »
      You should have a one time backup/restore to make install disks
      in system tools,or somewhere similar for your computer.

On net framework dotnetfx3setup.exe..Have you tried to download and reinstall ?

GoHere

Below is a note from 'Micro-LOL-Soft' about installing NetFramework 3.0 on
      Vista.

Antivirus applications that are configured to clean the Temp folder will cause setup to fail if setup needs to reboot.
      If setup needs to reboot, and the antivirus application is set to clean the Temp directory on launch, necessary setup files will be deleted and setup will fail with a program-not-found error.

To resolve this issue

Change your antivirus applications configuration to not clean the Temp folder on launch or reboot before running .NET Framework 3.0 setup. Consult your antivirus documentation for the steps to accomplish this.

Hope this helps.I have never used/seen/been around/or thought much
      about Microsoft Vista.
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »
        I tried the link for .net framework 3.0 you gave me and when I go to download it, the download works fine but when it starts installing it told me "You must use "Turn Windows features on or off" in the control panel to install of configure microsoft.net framework 3.0"  After I clicked ok to it, vista sent me a message saying the software may not have installed correctly, and I can choose wether to download with recommended settings or say it was downloaded fine.  I'm not going to press anything until I hear somebodies input, because generally when I choose it's wrong.  I don't think it installed correctly since the install was interupted but I've got no idea if I should download it with what vista wants.

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: I accidently bumped enter and it said that .net framework 3.0 is for windows xp, I'm running vista (if I forgot to mention that)
        « Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:36:38 AM by ThanksForHelp »
        Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows Vista.