Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: printer driver can find the printer on LPT1  (Read 3535 times)

cfmoore

Topic Starter

Rookie

printer driver can find the printer on LPT1
    « on: July 04, 2008, 06:54:59 PM »
    The computer with Windows 98se is not finding the HP Deskjet 960c printer which is connected with a parallel cable to LPT1 connection. 

The computer has only one LPT port.  The printer has a USB connection (as does the computer) but I do not have a USB cable for the printer.

The printer has never used with this computer but it was working fine on another computer. 

Prior to the printer install the computer had been erased and fdisk and windows 98se reloaded.  The printer

I found the drivers at DriverGuide.com.  I am not the original owner and I do not have the install instructions or the driver cd.  HP, as of 1 July no longer provides drivers for ME and older or user manuals.  My windows 98se cd does not have the drivers for this HP DeskJet model (stops in the 800 series).

The last install attempt, without the drivers installed, during boot up the printer was not detected.  I then turned off the computer, removed the cable, restarted the computer then turned off again, reattached to printer cable and started again.  The computer did not recognized any new hardware during the boot up.  I then opened the printer drivers file.  During the install, a msg box came up saying "Could not locate HP Deskjet 960c on any parallel port.  Below that was a box "Selected port window" with LPT1 in the box.  Another box labeled "Available Port Window" has LPT1 in the box. 

In the Award BIOS set up I found the parallel port settings
    - Onboard parallel Port 378/IRQ7
    - Parallel Port Mode: EPP
    There are three other modes
    - SPP
    - ECP+EPP ECP Mode Use DMA3
    - ECP3 ECP Mode Use DMA3

What do the 4 Mode Use settings do?

Do different printers have different types of USB cables?  The printer does have a USB port.

xavier

Re: printer driver can find the printer on LPT1
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 07:16:33 PM »
    The cable will be a standerd USB to printer cable. Windows 98 will not recognize the printer but you can get the driver from MFG site on the internet and then download it.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 07:30:29 PM »
    The cable will be a standerd USB to printer cable. Windows 98 will not recognize the printer but you can get the driver from MFG site on the internet and then download it.

HP no longer offers driver downloads or driver replacement CDs for Windows 98...

But strange enough...I found it here:  HP deskjet 960c Printer Driver for 98 and Me

cfmoore

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 08:18:58 PM »
      Any suggestions as to what can be done for the driver to recognize the printer through LPT1?  Could the port hardware be bad?

I would like to stay with the parallel cable so I don't have to buy a USB cable but if this is the only solution then I will.

I found the info of HP no longer having drivers on their site to download  for Me and old on the HP website when I got through the links to the section for the Deskjet 960c.   

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 08:26:45 PM »
      There's a link to the driver download in my previous post.  The driver is both for parallel and USB connections.

cfmoore

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 11:10:55 PM »
        Problem Fix and thanks so much.  Working great with the parallel cable.

I knew I wasn't doing something right.    I just glad I came across Computer Hope and there are people like the both of you who help those who do not know.  I not only fixed the problem, but I learned some more in the process.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:15:55 AM »
        You're welcome...

We're just glad you've solved your problem...and if you need us again...you'll know where we are.