Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Removing hard drive from a seemingly crashed computer to another any different?  (Read 2152 times)

trumenu

Topic Starter

Rookie
    If I have one computer that seems to have crashed; haven't yet gotton this resolved, but I saw someone had typed in about moving the hard drive from the computer that wouldn't boot into windows 98 to remove the hard drive and put it in another computer to save the data from it. Can someone maybe make sense of this to me, 'cause if there's a possibility that I can do that and save all my music that would be a happy day! --> Although, this particular computer/hard drive had windows xp home edition on it; the hard drive has 280 memory for an hp.  Is this something to consider?-- Just pull this one out, slide it into another tower with a different motherboard?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    The motherboard doesn't matter.   What does is if the drive you want to move is SATA and your mobo doesn't have any SATA connections, or if the drive is ATA and your mobo doesn't have any ATA connections, you might have to get yourself a suitable adapter.    Also, if the file system on the drive you want to move is NTFS you cannot access the files using Win.9n.

Apart from the foregoing moving hard drives around is easy, you could also consider getting a usb adapter and plugging up the drive as external.

Maybe you'd like to tell us what your hardware setup is, and which operating system is involved.

Good luck
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.