Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse freezes during windows installation  (Read 4866 times)

chrisw91

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    Mouse freezes during windows installation
    « on: July 06, 2008, 12:12:27 AM »
    During windows installation, my mouse and keyboard aren't recognised/usable. I can use my keyboard and I can see my mouses light flashing on, but as soon as the installation starts the mouse light flashes off and the keyboard can't be used.

My problem is that a popup saying that my NVIDIA gefroce 8800gts driver hasn't passed windows verification. It asks me if i want to continue yes/no, but I am unable to move my mouse to click yes.

Both the mouse and keyboard are USB and it is windows XP home edition

Any help is appreciated 8)

Goku

Rookie

Re: Mouse freezes during windows installation
      « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:26:18 AM »
      Hello Chris. I think you might find something useful in here.

A Bluetooth keyboard or mouse does not work when you start Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005

Does it apply to you or do you have some different problems? Let us know as soon as possible and we will try to guide you further. Good Luck. :)

-- Goku

chrisw91

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        « Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:29:14 AM »
        Nope, that doesn't apply to me as i'm using a USB mouse/keyboard and not bluetooth. Thanks anyway

Goku

Rookie

Try this
          « Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 12:32:28 AM »
          Ok, then I think this one does apply to your problem as far as I know.

Keyboard and Mouse Stop Responding When You Upgrade to Windows XP

Also, try using different a Keyboard and Mouse to see if they too stop responding or not. If they do, then it is most probably a hardware conflict. Try the instructions provided in the above link and see if they help or not. Good Luck. :)

-- Goku

chrisw91

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
            « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 12:46:01 AM »
            well that is my problem... but my mouse/keyboard aren't plugged into PS/2. Just USB...

And i'm unsure as to how i would update the bio or the intellipoint... as I am halfway through the installation and i can't boot it in safe mode

Goku

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 12:54:52 AM »
              Well, your best bet would be to borrow a mouse and keyboard to complete the installation. This way you will at least be not left hanging in between. Complete the installation as soon as possible with another mouse and keyboard or revert back to a previous installation of Windows. An operable system will be far much more easier to help with than one that is in the grey area in the between.

After you are done with it, I will give you a link through which you can perform a BIOS upgrade. Remember, the upgrade will cost you something but will leave you with a more enriched computing experience. So decide what you want to do and state so in your next post. I will guide you from there on accordingly. Good Luck. :)

-- Goku

chrisw91

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                « Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 12:57:31 AM »
                I've tried with a different mouse, to no effect... How would I go about reverting to a previous installation of windows?

Goku

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 01:01:55 AM »
                  If you are halfway through an installation, then I don't think you will be able to revert back to a previous installation for now. I am still posting the link in case you need it later.

How to uninstall Windows XP and revert to a previous operating system

So for now, the only option available to you is a BIOS upgrade. However, I am not sure if that too will work or not as they need the appropriate information from the computer and you cannot provide it in your present condition. What Operating System did the computer previously have?

-- Goku
                  « Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 04:30:05 AM by Goku »

chrisw91

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                    « Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 01:13:49 AM »
                    I forgot to say that it was a reinstall of windows*

Goku

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 01:16:08 AM »
                      Well, then how did you install the previous copy? Can you try some other mouse and keyboard that does not use a USB port. Also, have you tried reinstating the installation?

-- Goku

chrisw91

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                        « Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 01:17:46 AM »
                        It was that long ago that I can't remember how I installed XP before. I don't remember having the same problem though. The only type of mouse/keyboard I have access to right now is USB. What do you mean by reinstating?

JJ 3000

Egghead
                        • Experience: Familiar
                        « Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 01:32:08 AM »

My problem is that a popup saying that my NVIDIA gefroce 8800gts driver hasn't passed windows verification. It asks me if i want to continue yes/no, but I am unable to move my mouse to click yes.

Both the mouse and keyboard are USB and it is windows XP home edition

Any help is appreciated 8)

Does your motherboard have on board video? If so, I would take it out and install the drivers after the O.S. has loaded.
                        Save a Life!
                        Adopt a homeless pet.
                        http://www.petfinder.com/

chrisw91

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                          « Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 01:36:55 AM »
                          I have an asus p5nd2 motherboard.. doesn't have onboard video

Goku

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 02:34:14 AM »
                            Hello again Chris. By reinstating the installation, I mean to restart the installation afresh. Are you repairing the existing installation of Windows or did you start by formatting your hard drive?

-- Goku

quaxo

Guru
                              • Yes
                            • Computer: Specs
                            • Experience: Guru
                            « Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 05:23:45 AM »
                            Try a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.