Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ping time change.  (Read 3772 times)

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Ping time change.
    « on: July 07, 2008, 12:27:32 AM »
    My computer Is fairly new, When I first Played Call Of Duty 4 On It I was getting Low 60's ping. Now I am getting 120 or more, Nothing less. What puzzles me Is I upgraded my Broadband speed, So this should lower my ping rate right?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Ping time change.
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »
    If I remember, higher ping means more packets sent per second?

Is your gameplay better or worse?

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »
    I thought ping was how long it took for a packet to get from the server to the client (or is it client to server?) in milliseconds? It may be because you're playing during peak hours, try playing earlier in the morning or later at night. 120 isn't that bad, is it starting to lag?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »
    Ping is the time taken, in milliseconds, for a packet of data to make the round trip from your computer to the server and back.
    Your speed doesn't directly affect your ping.
    Instead, look at your connection - if it's wireless, go wired.  If it's wired, try to use a shorter cable, possibly a better quality one.
    On the ISP side there's nothing you can do really, at peak times you'll get high ping because more people are on.
    Servers with less people, and those that are closer to you, will generally have a lower ping too.

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 02:07:33 PM »
      My game play Is about  the same as It was but, I just do not understand what changed. I will try the shorter cord, Thanks for the abundance of knowlege. I have learned many things from people on this site. OUT!!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »
      Ping is the time taken, in milliseconds, for a packet of data to make the round trip from your computer to the server and back.
      Ah, thanks.