Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgraded Dell Inspiron to Win XP, worked fine then display went haywire  (Read 2554 times)

abarrows

Topic Starter

I have an old Dell Inspiron 5000 model ppm that came with window 98, I had the error message "cannot find explorer.exe, reinstall windows" and I installed window xp onto the computer. It worked perfectly and must faster than I had expected for about three hours, I then shut it down and upon start, the screen was distorted with inch long, horizontal lines. It is so bad that I really cannot access anything on the computer to fix it. I can't get into BIOS because it is the same there and therefore I cannot startup in safe mode either. Help!  :'(

stevejohnson1958

Have you tried a different monitor?

abarrows

Topic Starter

Yes, I have. It shows up the same. I have been tweaking the properties a bit and it helped a smidge but it is still quite unusable.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      If another monitor does the same thing, then I would think it a motherboard issue.
      Open your computer up and blow all of the dust out. Now see if you can get into BIOS.
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

stevejohnson1958

Before we blame it on the motherboard...do you think we should take a look at the video card?