Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows hard drive slaved into other pc to get files  (Read 2884 times)

kadamson1975

windows hard drive slaved into other pc to get files
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »
My windows hard drive gave me and error and now will not boot past the Windows XP splash screen.  I have tried LKGC, safe mode, and all the other tips Microsoft has. 
I have now pulled the hard drive from lap top and put it in an external usb case so that I can read it on my other computer.  I can access the drive fine except for 2 folders.  The file is at C:\documents and settings\(folder name)  This is my "my documents" folder. 
You should know that the hard drive (from my laptop) is password protected.  This is the only account on the hard drive.  There is an administrator account also, but I am also the administrator of the hard drive.  There is no administrator pswd.  The only password to the hard drive when it was in the pc is to log in to my account.
When I click on the folder, I get an access denied error. 
Question:  Am I getting access denied because of the password?  If so, how do I enter the pswd, since it does not ask me for it, and when I right click there is no option for it? 
Thanks for any advice or help you can offer.

hmar

Beginner

Re: windows hard drive slaved into other pc to get files
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:53:54 AM »
    Try right click, choose properties. On the security tab, click advanced. Click the owner tab. Try to take ownership of the folder. Good Luck.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "