Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: i cant find Windows 98 etup files, please help me!!!  (Read 4812 times)

johnver

i cant find Windows 98 etup files, please help me!!!
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:02:38 AM »
i got a new PC, its already built OS, and i think it is Fedora core linus 4 DS, if im not wrong. but i didnt like the OS, i wish to install another OS, i wish to install windows XP, but the problem is, evry time i inserted the CD yo the CD-ROM drive nothing happend so i read my manual, then i found out that i need to install Windows98 first before installing any OS. so i seach how to install windows 98 in internet like google, as usual i need to format my drive, i think it s drive c:, but before i format it, i delete all partition in my PC, by following this instruction;

Partitioning your new hard drive

1. Power up the laptop with the Windows 98 CD-ROM in the machine. The machine will boot to the CD and bring you to a Microsoft Windows 98 CD-ROM Startup Menu. Arrow down to option 2. Boot from CD-ROM and press the Enter key.
   2. This will bring up to another Windows98 startup menu. On this menu select option 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support and press the Enter key. The machine will continue to boot and then take you to an A:\> prompt.
   3. At the A:\> prompt, type FDISK and press the Enter key.
   4. It will ask you if you want to enable large disk support. Press Y and press Enter.
   5. Choose option 1, Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive.
   6. Choose option 1 Create Primary DOS Partition.
   7. FDISK will then verify the drive integrity for a couple of seconds. When it asks you if you want the maximum available size, press Y and press Enter. It will then verify the drive integrity one more time and then say you must restart your system for your changes to take effect.
   8. Press ESC to exit FDISK. This will take you back to another A:\> prompt. Turn off the computer by holding down the power button for 6 seconds

Installing Windows 98

1. Turn the Computer back on.
   2. Select 2. Boot from CD-ROM and press Enter.
   3. A screen will come up with 3 selections. Select 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support and press Enter.
   4. At the MS-DOS prompt, type D:\ and press Enter. Type in CD win98 and press Enter.
   5. Type in format /u c: and press Enter.
   6. Next a message will say WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST! Proceed with Format (Y/N)? Press Y and then Enter.
   7. After format is complete, you will have to enter a Volume Label. Press Enter.

....then after that i need to turn off the PC and ON it after, then at the windows 98 menu, i select the option 1, "start computer with CD-ROM support" then enter, it say that my drie is E:, so i enter E: at dos promt, then type SETUP, it seems like this a:\>SETUP but nothing happened, i got erroe messge when i enter SETUP message say "bad command or file name" what could i do? please help.. i also try other command like E:SETUP, E:\ETUP, E:\win98\SETUP, E:\win98\setup\setup, i also try to search the DIR to finds win98 setup files but, i cannt find it, please help me to solve it, thanks a lot!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: i cant find Windows 98 etup files, please help me!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:28:44 AM »
You don't need to install Windows 98 first. you should be able to boot from the XP CD and setup from there.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.