Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't reach Boot Screen  (Read 2275 times)

CronoC

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer won't reach Boot Screen
    « on: July 17, 2008, 10:17:25 AM »
    Hi Everyone,

My computer was working fine before I went on vacation. when I came back and started it up. It starts okay but right before the boot section, it just stops...the little DOS pointer on the top left side of the screen flashes but that's it. i've tried putting a floppy to boot, as well as my original recovery CD but nothing happens. Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not very hardware savy....

Crono

Annon

Re: Computer won't reach Boot Screen
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:44:30 AM »
    Can you run in safe mode:
    1. Restart your computer.
    2. When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a menu.
    3. When you have the menu on the screen. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
    4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Can you list your machine specs.

CronoC

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:50:46 AM »
      The problem is that the computer doesn't even get to do the OS Boot, it stops before that. So pressing F8 doesn't do anything.

I have an Alienware
      Pentium 4 Dual 3.33 GHZ
      3 GB RAM.
      256 RAM NVIDIA CARD
      Windows XP SP2

Annon

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 11:54:52 AM »
      Not to sure so don't act upon my advice yet, but i would save your hard drive has given up. :)

CronoC

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:56:44 AM »
        Oh my...
        Odd though because when the computer is first loading, it sees the hard drive there, and it says it's healthy...

Crafty

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:12:25 PM »
        Reconnect all your cables to the drives and motherboard making sure they are seated properly, you may aswell reseat the ram and graphics card while you are in there. Let use know how you go on!!