Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PARTITION  (Read 2131 times)

senator141

Topic Starter

Starter

PARTITION
    « on: July 12, 2008, 01:33:52 AM »
    I have brought two 160 gig hard drives which i have set up as a master and slave, my goal is to replace the system i had before which was 98, millennium, and XP, which i chose by choice on boot up from a menu that popped up. i am trying to allocate 40 gig as my main C drive and then partition the rest as 50 gigs D.E.F.G.H.I. etc. i did start the process using the Fdisk command to the letter but after completing the create primary dos operation it then stated i have no space to do anything else which is baffling me.

i would deeply appreciate a step by step which would help me reach my goal as i am having withdrawal symptoms not having my machine and have a few butts to kick in certain games. i have been through all the Q'A's but nothing completely covers exactly what i want. XP does in itself partition your drive for you but then you are unable to install or run a later OS such as 98 which defeats the object of the exercise. there are many ways of setting up if you have the knowledge, and hands in the air i dont pocess that knowledge, but i am prepared to learn. the way i had it fitted the bill and personally i found it priceless. please help if you can guys

Stormy
     :'(

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: PARTITION
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 03:15:01 AM »
    How much space are you using for your primary partition? Do you want all three operating systems on one hard drive? Does your motherboard have a secondary IDE connection? Which CD are you using to partition?

How old is your motherboard? Does it support LBA?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_block_addressing
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

senator141

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 03:22:09 AM »
      please forgive me if i am not on the ball but will provide as much as i can, i have been using the fdisk to partition the hard drive but on use it only gives me two gig as the primary set up and two gig after that as extended or logical drive, it wont give me anything higher.

if i accept the yes to enable large disk support once the primary has been created it states there is not enough for anything else, not the size i want it anyway. the two hard drives i have are both IDE.

hope this helps

Stormy

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 09:29:51 AM »
      You need a newer version of FDisk...DLoad a WinME bootdisk from bootdisk.com
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

senator141

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »
        hi there,

Tried it, tested it, worked it, loving it. many many thanks i deeply appreciate it. what a god send when i came across this forum. WOW!!!!

Now before i break out the champagne and start doing a Micheal flatly, how do i go about format and partitioning the secondary drive which is set up a slave?

Cheers

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »
        Same exact way.
        You can hook it up as the master to be on the safe side....trust me i've formatted the wrong drive/partition before and it's not fun....
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "