Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multi-booting w/ Windows XP & Solaris 10 5/08 - help  (Read 2202 times)

cjmaio

Multi-booting w/ Windows XP & Solaris 10 5/08 - help
« on: July 16, 2008, 07:31:45 AM »
I have an HP Pavilion PC with Windows XP. I repartitioned the hard drive so that I have three partitions, the Windows XP partition (ntfs & existing), an HP Recovery partition (fat32 & existing) and now a Solaris partition (new). I successfully installed Solaris 10 5/08 (which created the Solaris partition). When I boot I get the Grub boot menu with the expected selections for booting Solaris, Windows and HP Recovery. Solaris and HP Recovery boot up fine with no problems. When I attempt to boot windows, the normal screens appear but then freezes just before it gets to the login screen.

I then tried starting over from scratch. I deleted all partitions and I recreated the master boot record (with the Windows Recovery Console booted from cd) using fixboot and fixmbr. Then I restored the HP Recovery and Windows partitions using the HP System Restore cd (this cd restores the hard drive back to original factory shipped setup). Windows and HP Recovery booted up fine with no problems. I then installed Solaris with no problems. Solaris and HP Recovery again booted up with no problems. And again Windows freezes as described above.

Any ideas on what I can do to solve this problem. I hate Windows and I am only keeping Windows to run AutoCAD.