Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Easy CD Creator 5  (Read 2615 times)

edgavin42

Topic Starter

Rookie

Easy CD Creator 5
    « on: July 11, 2008, 07:55:37 PM »
    Easy CD Creator 5 came with the Gateway I bought in 2002. I use it exclusively to save family pictures. I use the Direct CD format utility to format the data CDs and then I can save pictures on the CD. I've never encountered any difficulty once I learned the process. Now, however, when I place a blank data CD into the drive and bring up the Direct CD Format utility things go awry. The format  page indicates that I have a blank CD in the drive; okay. I click on  "Format" and it starts normally. Usually the formatting takes 30-60 seconds. Nowadays, the CD remains in the drive; clicking on "Eject" is useless. After waiting up to two hours, and the "whatever-it-is" is still going on, I need to turn the computer off and restart. I can then eject the CD. When I reinsert the CD and bring up the Direct CD Format screen, I read where it originally said "blank CD" now says "unrecognized data." Moreover, the Free Space and Used Space indicators both say "0 bytes." The Roxio website, featuring "Ask RoxAnn," has proven unhelpful. Is this problem familiar to anyone?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Easy CD Creator 5
    « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:30:06 PM »
    Do you still have original "Utilities CD", if it came with your Gateway?

edgavin42

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:18:11 PM »
      Thank you for responding. I have two CDs titled "Applications," one titled "Drivers," and two titled "Operating System." I have no CD titled "Utilities."

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »
      "Applications" CD should do. See, if Easy CD Creator is there. If so, uninstall current version, and install fresh copy.

edgavin42

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »
        Thanks for your suggestion. I had never uninstalled and reinstalled a program, so I learned something. However, I'm encountering the same problem after the re-installation of Easy CD Creator 5 Basic. After clicking on "format" and waiting a few minutes the following message appears; "Illegal request. Drive reported an error with a command it received, please. You will not be able to read or write to the CD through drive letter access." And the hourglass icon remains on the screen until I close out the program. I know that some kind of process is going on when I try to close out because each step takes longer than normal. Maybe you have another suggestion or insight? Thanks again.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:03:48 PM »
        You could DLoad and try CDBurner XPro which is FREE...
        Try to burn with it and if that fails also you may be looking at replacing the burner.
        New dual-layer burners are about 40 bucks shipped from newegg.com if your'e in the States.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

edgavin42

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »
          Hello,
          Thanks for your suggestion. I downloaded something called "CDBurner XP," and tried that with no success. The final message that I get is in a box titled "File View," and it says "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function." Truth to tell, I don't know what that means really. The CD comes out of the burner unformatted. And when I put the same CD back in the drive, instead of the original notation "Blank CD" it says "unrecognized data." And the only reason it comes out of the burner is because I shut everything down. If I don't do that the burner keeps the CD, the little light keeps flashing, and it can go on for hours like that. I've tried "Scan Disc," a function on the Direct CD utility screen, and the message I get is that Scan Disc cannot repair the CD because there is insufficient space on the CD. And this is on the CD that was, at first, blank, and then was notated with "unrecognized data." Curiouser and curiouser! I've placed other CDs in the drive, ones I've put family pictures on, and I can look at them with no difficulty; I can add photos to them and delete photos from them. Since I've reinstalled the software, Easy CD Creator Basic, I thought the formatting problem would go away. No luck. Any thoughts? Again, thanks for your responses.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 11:13:49 AM »
          CD/DVD burners have two lasers: read, and write. Your "write" laser may be out.
          You can try lens/laser cleaner, but they rarely work.

edgavin42

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 01:17:10 PM »
            Hello,
            Again, thanks for the reply. I put a CD Laser Lens Cleaner disc in the burner. The music and the verbal instructions on Track 2 proceeded sort of jerkily, not enough to prevent me from understanding what the woman was saying, but every second or so there was a very brief silence. Like a speaker component with a loose wire connection. I also sprayed some air duster in there.

But guess what. I just tried to format a fresh CD and the formatting worked as in the days of old! So I guess I had a dirty driver; and your suggestion was spot on. Thank you so much.
            Raucous round of applause for Broni.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 01:20:57 PM »
            but they rarely work
            I'm glad, it worked for you :)