Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: really dumb question about network file sharing etc  (Read 2433 times)

tecnofobe

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

really dumb question about network file sharing etc
    « on: July 16, 2008, 05:51:51 AM »
    ok i have a home network (2 laptops and one desktop) through a belkin wireless G router - allows the family to connect to the internet effortlessly on all three computers - but can we share files and folders or a printer? Can we *censored*! can't access the other computers from any computer!
    I've checked the properties of all the connections and 'share files and folders' is ticked - i have set up the network according to windows instructions. Is there a vista/xp conflict (one laptop is vista, the other two pcs are xp). Or is there something quite simple that I haven't done?
    Any help for this dumbo?

:-[

hiloed

Beginner

Re: really dumb question about network file sharing etc
      « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »
      Yes you can share easily.Make sure all computers are placed in trusted zone on all firewalls.And make sure all computers or in the same work group.  Go here for some good tips. Re: QA0039: Networks for Home/Small Business.

Good Luck

tecnofobe

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »
        i have cleared all firewalls, made sure the right permissions are on for each computer,  now when i click view workgroups or look in 'my network places'  (from any computer in the so-called network) i get this window 'XXXXX (workgroup name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.'
        What the *censored* does THAT mean. I'm the administrator presumably.

hiloed

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »
          Sorry for not responding sooner. But the admin problem brings up another complicated issue. I suggest you start another  thread bringing up admin. problems

Sorry,

Ed