Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows xp (home ,pro,and media center  (Read 2068 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

windows xp (home ,pro,and media center
    « on: July 16, 2008, 05:27:26 PM »
    I tend to the school of thought that if it ain't broke don't fix it. For instance i have chosen the option to determine which updates i will download and install from Microsoft.I am currently using IE6 and have no intention to update to version 7.Now my question what are the opinions re installing the recent update of SP3. I have Sp2 installed and i generally do accept all security updates that seem to be never ending.However my research has found many complaints and problems (some devastating) that users have experienced after installing Sp3. I will be very surprised if there turns out to be a unanimous point of view but i would like some food for thought on this item. Thank you, truenorth

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: windows xp (home ,pro,and media center
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »
    Many people leave SP3 out.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: windows xp (home ,pro,and media center
    « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:00:26 PM »
    Hi truenorth ........ I follow what was what the old Fred Langa deal, LangaList - now Windows Secrets .... most useful reviews there.  General consencus seems not too bad for SP3 but I choose still to not take chances - enough potential gremlins to make me shy of it - for at least some while longer anyways.  I can't afford to have down time if avoidable.

I started out on my latest new machine with (Yuk) Vista - hated it but - hated it even more after SP1 !!!  Messed up enough to matter IMO.  So back to good ol XP Pro.  I recall all sortsa prob's early on when SP2 came out for that.

I am like you - take in all security patches but these days don't even bother with the malicious software tool each month - takes too long!  So - for me definitely - put off SP3 a good bit longer yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forgot to add ..... a comment re IE 6 and 7.  I went in with both feet a while ago and went to IE7 - it ain't too bad overall - well as IE's go!!!  Still reaches crash point at times.   I prefer tabbed browsing too.  I use "Multiple IE's" for checking web work and these cover for me 5, 5.5 and 6 usefully.  Apart from that - Firefox reigns supreme anyways! ;)
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:23:25 PM by ChrisXPPro »
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!