Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to reinstall the entire computer  (Read 5482 times)

Mary G

How to reinstall the entire computer
« on: February 22, 2005, 10:55:06 PM »
Hi everyone. New to this site was looking on the internet for some possible help. Here is my problem: My aunt who often has problems with her computer messed up her computer again.  But this time I don't know how to fix it. It is a Gateway that had Windows Millenium 2000. It starts up fine then it comes to the part where you see the wallpaper and it says error with internet explorer and it must shut the program down, you click ok and then the computer freezes. You see nothing but the wallpaper (no icons). I then try alt ctrl del. It pops up but there is nothing in it. No programs running listed. I try restarting again and the same thing again and again. She said she didn't delete anything. She said that an aol program poped up and asked her to update aol. She clicks ok and the computer freezes. She restarts and the computer then ends up with this problem. If anyone out there knows how to fix this PLEASE respond.

I think that everything may need to be reinstalled. I have never done this before so anyone out there who can guide me. I would say I am good with computers. I've had one for 12 years. No formal training but I've never had a problem on my own computers that I haven't been able to not fix. =) My aunt has a couple of disks that came with her computer. How do I uninstall everything the computer has now and reinstall everything from blank.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How to reinstall the entire computer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 06:33:50 PM »
Need to know if the "couple of disks" are capable of re-installing  the OS, if not then the problem may be greater than first thought.  
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

MaryG

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 10:08:07 PM »
Let's say that one of the couple of disks are able to reinstall the operating system. How can I do that?

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 06:56:36 AM »
First thing..
This board is for programming not soft/hardware.  If you post in the proper area you will get a much faster and better response to your needs.  This question should probably go in Windows.

Now to the issue at hand..
Pop the disk into the drive and reboot.  You want to format the C: then re-install windows.  You might have to change the BIOS to boot off the floppy.  If so, just after you turn it on you should see a note about pressing a key to enter setup (probably Delete).  In setup look for Boot Sequence and make sure it's set to boot off the floppy first.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 01:28:09 PM »
Joleen has answered your query but I would do it differently.   I assume your "disks" are cd's not floppies as in 1.4mb.   I would boot using a Win.98se bootdisk (Bootdisk.com), format, then put the cd into the drive and enter the drive letter (believe it or not R:) and then Setup i.e. R:\SETUP and follow the on-screen prompts.  All this without having to alter BIOS!!

However, I have made the assumption that you have a floopy-disk drive.  

And, yes, this is a programming forum but you got your replies just the same...

Good luck

D...
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.