Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Access Points.  (Read 3487 times)

Stupidgirl123

Topic Starter

Access Points.
    « on: July 17, 2008, 04:31:31 PM »
    Hello all, please help!

Iīm really new to this whole networking game and so am probably posting one of the stupidest questions ever but here goes...

My friend lives a floor above me in a block of apartments.  I can detect his wireless signal but itīs very weak, so i was told to buy a signal strengthener - which i did.

I bought a Conceptronic 54Mbps Access Point, (the guy in the shop told me this would do the job).

However, after attatching the access point thing to the router, i am lost as to how this marries up to my laptop.  My friend connects to the internet via his router wirelessly, if this information is needed.

Help.

Thanks.
    S. X

!~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~!

Re: Access Points.
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 06:25:55 PM »
    It should connect to the router and the router connects to the laptop....

Is that what you mean?

Simplesimon

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 01:52:54 AM »
      Hello 123, (Can't get myself to write Stupidgirl :)

I think the shop assistant sold you a dummy. The only thing you could do is ask your friend to install the access point in place of his current one in the hope that it has a stronger signal (unlikely). Signal strengtheners are normally higher gain antenna which replace the receiving antenna in your set up. Most laptops give no access to the antenna so that's not possible. I have had a similar problem but did find that although the signal was indicated as weak by the laptop I could establish a reasonable internet connection. Is the signal WEP encrypted and do you have the password? Another thought is to try at various places in your appartment to see where you might get a workable signal. Final thought - if your friend is directly overhead, run an ethernet cable down from his router to your laptop.

Good luck
      Simplesimon

Stupidgirl123

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 04:21:17 AM »
        Thanks for the reply!

No my friend does not live directly above me. 
        The access point says on the box that it acts as a repeater, therefore that should boost the signal from the original router should it not?

I donīt know if weīve got the original setup right.
        My friendīs internet connection is via the router.  If i attach the access point to the router, do i have to make any considerations that my friends laptop is present and running off a wireless signal?

I have the access code - is this the same as the encrption code?! Oh dear, iīm sooo sorry for being dim on this topic!

HEEEEELP! X
        S. X