Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dvd drive and .net framework  (Read 1792 times)

Cinema

Dvd drive and .net framework
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:42:30 PM »
I've got to seperate problems, one is hardware and one is sort of hardware/software issues.
The first one is my dvd drive.  Just a day or so ago it was working fine and it would recognize games and dvd's once I put them in with no problems.  Now though it doesn't show up in my computer at all, not even the drive logo.  I haven't changed any of my hardware lately so I'm not sure what would bring this on.  Are there some settings I can change to make it recognize the discs?
The second problem is relating my zune mp3 player and .net framework.  A while ago my zune software stopped working and I couldn't update the mp3 player.  I contacted microsoft support and the guy on the phone told me to change file names in the .net framework folders, then try to reinstall the software.  After I changed the names to what he told me too, the install would get errors halfway through and close.  Once I told him that, he promptly ended the call and I'm stuck without .net framework and still a useless zune lying around. I'm not sure what the original file names were so I'm unable to change them back myself.  Is there any way I can get .net framework up and running again?  I can't reinstall windows because I don't have the discs. The person I bought this computer from didn't include them and has since gone out of business, bad luck I guess.
This is all on windows vista if I forgot to mention that.

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:53:54 PM by Cinema »

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Dvd drive and .net framework
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:43:14 PM »
As for getting back old .NET files, try System Restore.
If successful, uninstall all .NET instances through "Programs and Features", and install fresh copy.

As for DVD drive...
Try one of these:
1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
or...
2. http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
or...
3. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstal. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.
NOTE: Try DVD drive fix AFTER using System Restore, regarding .NET files.