Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Router Help  (Read 3867 times)

ShaunZero

Wireless Router Help
« on: July 25, 2008, 05:00:28 PM »
I'm having trouble setting up a new Wireless router. My internet(DSL) works fine without the router, but I can't seem to get it working with the new wireless router. Here are the specifiactions on my hardware:

DSL Modem:
Westell Model E90-610014-06

Wireless Router:
Linksys "Wiresless-G Broadband Router with speed booster"
802.11g
Model: WRT54GS

I insert the installation CD, follow the instructions properly, and when it gets to the fourth step where it says "Waiting for router", it hangs for a few minutes, and then tells me that my router is not setup properly. Though, both my DSL modem(Which is detected as a "Router") and Wireless Linksys router have their online lights on and steady.

My PC is doing as if it is attempting to connect to the internet; the icon with two computers in my system bar(Vista) is flashing, and when I hover over it, it says:

Network 5:
Access: Local Only

Network 3
Access: Local Only

My laptop can also aquire a wireless signal from the router, but I can't access the internet. It says "local only" for it as well.

My setup:
I have an Ethernet cord going from my computer to one of the four ethernet ports on my wireless linksys router used for wired connections. I have my phone line plugged into my DSL modem, and an Ethernet cord going from my DSL modem into the ethernet port on my wireless router that's labled "internet". Both the DSL modem and router have the "Internet" lights lit up, so I assume it's setup properly.

Then, if I pull my ethernet cable from my wireless router leading to my computer, and stick it back in the DSL modem, my internet kicks back up and works fine.

ComputerHelpDon

Starter

Re: Wireless Router Help
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »
    I would check your IP setting on the working computer and match your router to them.

Some ISP's require you to use specific IP settings, in order for your router to work properly it would have to be setup with theses settings as well.

You can access your routers settings by typing its IP address into your browser. The default IP address is usually something like 192.168.1.1 you can find the exact one for your router in the papers that came with it or on the manufacturer website.

Also you may want to try power cycling everything once you verify that the IP stuff is setup properly. I know it sounds stupid but sometimes router issues like this can be solved by power cycling because it clears away the stored IP information and allows the router and the modem to detect eachother and get new IP's from scratch.

If only this trick worked on my refridgerator... when it is empty I can not simply close and open the door to find it stuffed with food and beer.