Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MY SOUND IS BROKEN! HALP!  (Read 2150 times)

SkateBat

MY SOUND IS BROKEN! HALP!
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:18:26 PM »
I've been wrestling (quite literally) with my laptop computer to get it's sound to work for almost a month now and seek to fix it once and for all.

Essentially the sound on my computer will either cut out or become extremely crunchy and then cut out. To fix it, I found that if I press down on certain areas around the keyboard that the sound will often temporarily come back. Sometimes it lasts for as long as I hold my palm in place (I've now escalated to using a clamp...) and sometimes it'll last anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour.

I've been under the impression that the issue is with my soundcard, but to be honest have no clue about anything when it comes to computers. 

What do I do, computer gurus?

???

Doghouse

Rookie

Bad keyboard?
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 10:25:34 PM »
    I'm not an expert by any means, but does your keyboard have buttons to control sound, music/video playback, etc.?  If so, it might be a problem with the wiring inside the keyboard related to that (loose/bad connection, broken wire, etc.).  My first (non-expert) suggestion would be to connect a different keyboard and see how the sound works.  If that fixes it, you may have found the problem.

JXY

Hopeful
      Re: MY SOUND IS BROKEN! HALP!
      « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 01:29:30 AM »
      I've been wrestling (quite literally) with my laptop computer

read posts carefully before responding.  ;)

loose wires could be the problem, if you have a warranty, you can ask the tech shop to diagnose your machine's hardware, be it wires, circuit boards, or sound cards.
      Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime

Doghouse

Rookie

Re: MY SOUND IS BROKEN! HALP!
        « Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 01:50:12 AM »
        Oops!  I ready everything carefully except the part about it being a laptop... </public humiliation>