Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: nothing comes on monitor  (Read 2305 times)

x455

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

nothing comes on monitor
    « on: July 21, 2008, 07:52:10 AM »
    I built this computer about a year ago.  I had it working for about 2 weeks before I decided to be real stupid and plug it into the wrong power voltage (i was in korea) and it made a pop sound and basically blew up.  I was hoping it was just the psu that had went out so I replaced that and when I powered it up, everything seemed to go fine except nothing was coming up on the monitor.  HDD is good because I gotta hold down the power button to turn it off like Windows was popping up or something.  So I figured it must be the graphics card, so I replaced that and still nothing on the monitor.  And then I decided to go big and replace the mobo, and guess what...still nothing.  I'm kinda getting real sick of basically buying a completely new computer so if anyone could help me out, that's be real cool.  Here are specs:

original:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ AM2 Socket
    ASUS M2N-E AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
    SAMSUNG 500GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    ASUS VENTO 3600 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    750W PSU

now:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ AM2 Socket
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
    PNY GeForce 8500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
    SAMSUNG 500GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    ASUS VENTO 3600 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    500W PSU

inspiron6400

Rookie

Re: nothing comes on monitor
      « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:19:40 AM »
      did you try another monitor? may be the monitor is broken down. 

Goku

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:29:52 AM »
        Hello X455. I am thinking that the pop sound was made by your monitor and that is the only part that has blown up. Please try another monitor, if you can, and see if the problem is resolved or not. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck. :)

-- Goku

x455

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:34:20 AM »
          Hello X455. I am thinking that the pop sound was made by your monitor and that is the only part that has blown up. Please try another monitor, if you can, and see if the problem is resolved or not. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck. :)

-- Goku

i'm pretty sure it wasn't the monitor that popped.  my face was right next to the psu (i was trying to figure out where the burning smell was coming from) when it popped...i thought i died...just sat there frozen for a good minute.

Goku

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 08:40:05 AM »
            Whatever might be the case, we still need to confirm it is not the monitor. Do you have a spare  working monitor that you may connect to test with your computer?

-- Goku

x455

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 08:44:44 AM »
              Whatever might be the case, we still need to confirm it is not the monitor. Do you have a spare  working monitor that you may connect to test with your computer?

-- Goku

yea...i guess i could still try that out.  the monitor has been through 2 gov't transports so that might be it.  when i turn the computer on, the monitor auto-detects between vga and dvi...and after going dvi (which is correct) it goes blank and then the little light in the on/off button starts flashing (power save...i don't know it's called when it does that...i think it's power save)

Goku

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »
                Hmmm... what you are making does make sense. Anyways, try replacing the monitor and see if the problem still persists or not. Good Luck. :)

-- Goku

x455

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 11:29:52 AM »
                  Hmmm... what you are making does make sense. Anyways, try replacing the monitor and see if the problem still persists or not. Good Luck. :)

-- Goku

i put another monitor, that i know works, on this system.  it's an older crt monitor, but it was working before and after i put it on my system.  still nothing...well actually this time it gave me the check cable message...but my other monitor (the one in question) will give me that message when it's disconnected as well, so i think i'm still at square 1.