Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NEED HELP WITH DELL INSPIRION 600m LAPTOP!!!  (Read 4313 times)

jay_deex3

NEED HELP WITH DELL INSPIRION 600m LAPTOP!!!
« on: February 23, 2005, 05:37:58 PM »
im currently trying to diagnose a problem with a friends laptop... when i go to boot i get no video and i get a  2 short beep post error..... I reseated the memory, even tried one stick at a time.....still no change..... i just recently started to get into laptop repair and need some input on this situation....if anyone has any suggestions please post them, as any help is apprecfiated

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: NEED HELP WITH DELL INSPIRION 600m LAPTOP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 05:41:29 PM »
See this link... http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm ... It sounds like parity circuit failure... Call Dell support, so you can send it back to have them repair it... It is under warranty, right?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 06:02:33 PM »
... when i go to boot i get no video and i get a  2 short beep post error...

2 beeps is bad video card.  On some notebooks, this is user replaceable, like putting memory in.

jay_deex3

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 06:11:55 PM »
thats what i thought Commando....and it sucks cuz the one im repairing aint user replacable...it is soldered directly to the board..... And Flame, those beep codes are for Desktop PC's...i already know those beep codes.... but thanks anyways.. :o
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 06:14:39 PM by jay_deex3 »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 06:20:30 PM »
....and it sucks cuz the one im repairing aint user replacable...it is soldered directly to the board.....

Don't you hate notebooks?  I consider them disposable, because they are nearly impossible to repair.  I've sucessfully repaired a few.  You need the patience of a watchmaker and the skill of a jewler and the dexterity of a surgeon.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 06:28:57 PM »
Very true! Just for curiosity.... Which video card is this? Also (for Computer_Commando), does that mean that the POST beep code sheet on Computer Hope is wrong?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 06:39:59 PM »
...(for Computer_Commando), does that mean that the POST beep code sheet on Computer Hope is wrong?

You didn't read carefully, 2-short, Parity Circuit Failure is for AMI BIOS.  1-long, 2-short is for Award BIOS.  Beep code page is not perfect.  Sometimes difficult to hear the 1-long between the 2-short. expecially on a notebook.  Then again, BIOS beep codes are not generic, especially on customized BIOS (like Dell).

On a notebook, any kind of beeping and no video is probably the video card.  Video cards on a notebook are not like the ones on a desktop.  Closer to "on-board" video on a desktop, a video chip and some video memory and some "glue logic".  Mine actually has a small video card, about the size of a couple memory cards.

jay_deex3

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 07:42:16 PM »
yeah i fixed one earlier today with a new video card, that was user replaceable, and put in a new backlight as well....and had it up and running....this one was causing me headaches because the BIOS beeps i noticed for Notebooks vary a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer.... Desktops BIOS beeps are the same pretty much for all......And *censored* yeah i hate notebooks....

And Do any of u Guys know of any good sites for material, practice exams, and study guides that relate to the A+ Certification exam.... Im studying for mine right now....thanks   ::)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 08:20:15 PM by jay_deex3 »