Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP does not start everthing up  (Read 2661 times)

ash72

Topic Starter

Rookie

XP does not start everthing up
    « on: September 15, 2008, 05:09:48 AM »
    Hello

I would like to start by saying I've been stupid.  I'm hoping someone on here can help as it is beyond my knowledge.  It started because I have XP home but wanted to be able to remote desktop from my laptop to the affected PC.  I found this posy http://www.geekport.com/2007/08/15/enabling-remote-desktop-in-xp-home/ and began to follow it.  I edited the productoptions as stated.  When I tried to press F8 on start up to use last know good configuration i couldn't as I have a USB keyboard.

(I won't go into everything or the silly reasons I did what I did next as I now know exactly what I should have done)

I went into ms config and selected selective start up and unticked all boxes then restarted.  This didn't work obviously.  I then found out about enabling USB support and enabled this.  I then pressed F* and loaded last known configuration.  There were other things I did between these two but I cannot remember exactly now.  The long and the short of it is that I finally loaded last know configuration and a lot of things including internet, usb support for memory stick do not work.  My simple way of thinking is that I have loaded the selective start up and cannot get back to the original start up with full support etc.  The system restore had been turned off when I mucked about with start up and therefore I cannot restore.  I have a start up disc that will restore to factory settings but i really do not want to do this.

Please can anyone help and believe me I have learnt a valuable lesson.

Ash.
    That's just the way it is

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XP does not start everthing up
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:29:42 AM »
    Can you try using a PS2 keyboard and then making the changes at startup ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ash72

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: XP does not start everything up
      « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:56:57 AM »
      I was wrong there is USB support.  It's strange what has happened.  I don't know if it related to the change of productoptions or not.

I think I will need to restore to factory settings and take this on the chin.

Ash.

ash72

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: XP does not start everthing up
        « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:12:35 AM »
        Having thought about it I have decided to restore to factory settings.  I quite liked the idea of starting again once I had got over the initial panic.

Thanks for you help.

Ash.