Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Expanding and looping over paths  (Read 2173 times)

blacl

Topic Starter

Starter

Expanding and looping over paths
    « on: July 24, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »
    Hi.  I'd like to make a batch file that loops over a semicolon separated path variable and displays each directory on a different line.  I am having 2 problems trying to do this:

1. I am passing in the name of the path variable to loop over ("path", "classpath", etc).  How can I expand that path in a variable.  For example, in my batch file, %1 = "path".  How can I assign the contents of %path% to a variable.  I don't want to test if "%1" = "path" as I want this to be flexible enough to handle any path variable (I have a lot of them).

2. How can I loop over a semicolon separated string and display each path on a separate line.  I've been playing with "for /f" quite a bit, but haven't figured out how to manipulate the tokens and delimiters keywords.

Thanks!

erobby

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Expanding and looping over paths
      « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »
      You mean something like this?

for /f "delims=;" %%a in ('echo %path%') do echo %%a >> pathlist.txt

blacl

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:13:09 PM »
        Sort of.  When I substituted this into my macro, I got a file where all the paths were on a single line and separated by a space:

c:\dir1 c:\dir2 c:\dir3...

What I want is a listing on my console where each path is on a separate line:
        c:\dir1
        c:\dir2

Also, if %1=PATH, what would the echo look like?  How would I get the contents of the path variable.  For example:

displaypath path
        c:\dir1
        c:\dir2

This would set %1="path" in "displaypath".  How do I get to the contents of path?
        Thanks!

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 02:10:05 AM »
        Your problem is that the /F switch tells FOR to treat whatever is in the parentheses as a sequence of lines, and the PATH environment variable string is just one line. What you can do is replace every semicolon with the sequence quote-space-quote so that FOR can chop up the line. Then you can use the ~ variable modifier to dequote the substring. Or not as the case may be.

This code parses a semicolon delimited string into separate lines. The IF test is to filter out the results of multiple or trailing semicolons. For want of any better idea, I called it semi-parse.bat.  The parameter passed is quoted to avoid problems with spaces.

Code: [Select]
        @echo off
        set string=%~1
        for %%A in ("%string:;=" "%") do (
        if not "%%~A"=="" echo.%%~A
        )

Code: [Select]
        C:\>semi-parse.bat "apples;pears;oranges"
        apples
        pears
        oranges

C:\>set teststring=shoes;gloves;hat and coat

C:\>semi-parse.bat "%teststring%"
        shoes
        gloves
        hat and coat

C:\>set teststring=mother;;father;sister;brother;

C:\>semi-parse.bat "%teststring%"
        mother
        father
        sister
        brother

C:\>semi-parse.bat "%path%"
        C:\WINDOWS\system32
        C:\WINDOWS
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

C:\>
        « Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:44:52 AM by Dias de verano »

blacl

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:04:02 AM »
          Thank you both.  This is very helpful!  It basically solves my problem and with a little tuning will be exactly what I wanted.