Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista Home Premium: Will Not Power Down Computer  (Read 3911 times)

matius

Topic Starter

Windows Vista Home Premium: Will Not Power Down Computer
    « on: July 25, 2008, 07:48:51 AM »
    Hello All:

When I Shut Down my computer.  Everything acts normally, but when the screen fades to black, my computer stays on.  No error messages; Vista seems to shut down normally but hangs right before where the computer should turn off.

I have a new Dell Inspiron 530.

I *believe* the situation began with either installing Netflix desktop movie app (which the morning after my computer had problems booting up) or after a botched install of HP printer software/drivers... I have recently uninstalled these HP programs.

Hopefully one of those two are the issue so I at least have a starting point.  I saw no uninstall for Netflix movie app.

I guess my questions are... any ideas on how to fix this?  And would there be a problem if I deleted the Hewlett-Packard folder from the Registry?  People say don't touch the registry but maybe what's in there is screwing things up?  Can I delete the Netflix registry folder too?  Any possibility of screwing up my system by doing so...

Thanks for your input!!

jamesj2001

Beginner

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium: Will Not Power Down Computer
      « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:55:26 AM »
      Are you using the red button, or the arrow and then "shut down"?

matius

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »
        The arrow & shut down.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:31:20 AM »
        try system restore if you can and restore to a point right before you installed the HP or netflix programs. The restored point shouldn't contain those registries of the HP or netflix programs, since they didn't exist then.

Try the shutdown process again afterwards.

----

I like to set manual restore points sometimes, when my computer is looking good so that I can restore back to known good point thru system restore in case I need it.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 03:45:48 PM »
        Before trying System Restore as Mcxeb52 suggested, try booting into Safe Mode and see if the computer shuts down normally there.
        If so, proceed using System Restore to a few days before the problem in Safe Mode.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »
        Before trying System Restore as Mcxeb52 suggested, try booting into Safe Mode and see if the computer shuts down normally there.
        If so, proceed using System Restore to a few days before the problem in Safe Mode.

Yes, test the safe mode first . Then if ok, then do the system restore using safe mode to be sure nothing affects the computer during the restoration process, although I have not yet experienced a problem doing system restore in normal mode except if the system restore point was too old.

In any case, try it out and let us know how it goes  :)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:43:14 PM »
        I suggested doing it in Safe Mode because, if the computer cannot turn off in Normal Mode how does he complete the System Restore?
         :)

mcxeb52!

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 05:49:30 PM »
        I suggested doing it in Safe Mode because, if the computer cannot turn off in Normal Mode how does he complete the System Restore?

Yes, definitely ... so that nothing will be preventing the system restore from not completing successfully and that includes the shut down process if windows won't even shut down for the restoration process to work :D 

Good Luck.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 08:00:50 AM »

Yes, definitely ... so that nothing will be preventing the system restore from not completing successfully and that includes the shut down process if windows won't even shut down for the restoration process to work :D 

Good Luck.

Translation ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mcxeb52!

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »
        translation??

Just do it in safe mode!!

merlin

Beginner

Overload of coms
          « Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »
          Does the shutdown screen...say 1/2 updates. ;)/try using the f8 key from the options:or in dells wisdom f1/2 keys

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          Re: Overload of coms
          « Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 05:51:13 PM »
          Does the shutdown screen...say 1/2 updates. ;)/try using the f8 key from the options:or in dells wisdom f1/2 keys
          Hmmm?