Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't receive an IP Address from Cable Modem  (Read 4103 times)

StewDuvall

Can't receive an IP Address from Cable Modem
« on: July 25, 2008, 11:19:11 AM »
My home computer is down!

I don't know where else to go!  I switched from ATT Dial-Up to ComCast.  I started losing my signal so they did a re-wire. I've been four Modems to make sure that was not the problem.  I'm not receiving a IP Address is the problem.  I have a Dell 8300, I've never had a router, there are no more computers in the house, I've done all the IPConfig/renew and /release stuff and finally the ComCast guys said they don't know what the problem is and "I'm sorry."  They were able to hhok up their ComCast laptop and get online but when they unplugged I still can't receive an IP Address.

It worked briefly on an earlier ComCast visit and a friend suggested I check for Windows updates.  So I downloaded a huge SP-3 file?  That updated but when I tried to do some other things the siganl went out and some little DOS window popped up quickly saying ACCESS IS DENIED several times.

Did I accidentally un-install something maybe?

Please help if you can!

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Can't receive an IP Address from Cable Modem
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »
I'd get a Router and use that as your DHCP service to serve up your IP to your system. This will also act as a front line for security to prevent an easy attack as long as you dont open up ports through port forwarding etc and just go with the basic setup and change its default password. Then follow these steps.

1.) Shut everything off, computer, router, and modem.

2.) Turn Modem on and wait about 30 seconds.

3.) Turn router on and wait about 30 seconds.

4.) Turn computer on and upon logging in wait about 20 seconds for your system to pick up an IP from the routers DHCP lease.

5.) Try to get on the internet now, and you should be able to as long s the Modem passed a single IP as it should have from Comcast ISP to the router, and the router gateways that out through its DHCP.

*** Make sure network settings are all set to dynamic including the DNS setting. Your computer will have to connect via Ethernet Cat5 cable to the router and ethernet cable between the modem and the router. If you are currently connected via USB to the modem, do away with that connection means as for it will just be a constant headache and load on your system to translate the USB bus daat packets, which will put a load on your PC.

Cheap router will be around $40 to $70, and cat 5 cables vary in cost on length, but be sure to get Patch Cable and not Cross Over Cables!!!

Good Luck!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Can't receive an IP Address from Cable Modem
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 03:41:30 PM »
Could this be related to Zone Alarm?