Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton Antivirus 2005  (Read 3874 times)

flyfisher

Norton Antivirus 2005
« on: February 25, 2005, 08:31:15 AM »
 ???
Hi
I am new to computers and these boards but I hope someone here can help a newbie.
I just downloaded Norton Antivirus 2005 onto my computer but when I try to access it I get as far as the configuration screen and am told:cannot find taks, you may not have rights to read the task..error 3014554.
When I went to their website I am told how to correct it by copying files but since I am new to computing I have no idea how to do this.  Does anyone here have anything that could help me???

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Norton Antivirus 2005
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 12:50:04 PM »
Can you give me the link that that web page?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

flyfisher

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 01:34:55 PM »
Thanks for replying to my problem but like I said I am a computer newbie so I don't know how to do links but the address at the bottom of the page was:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002100717403806?OpenDocument...
I hope this helps.  I was taken there when my program for Norton gave me the error message.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 01:40:06 PM »
What Operating System:  Windows XP/2000 or Windows 98/Me?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 01:42:20 PM »
    flyfisher......Did you follow the instuctions given on that page ?

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

flyfisher

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 01:52:35 PM »
    Sorry about that, I was just comming back to add that I have Windows 98 SE installed.
    I tried what they said but as I said I am new to computers and I do not have Windows Explorer under accessories and I don't know how to copy files and am afraid to move things around and make things worse.
    I seems to me they know they have a problem so they should be the ones to deal with it not the consumer.
    I have been trying to clear this up all day.  My Norton 2004 had to be removed to update to this one and now I am without protection!  I am angery and they fix it so you can't contact them and let off steam...
    I was poking around my computer and found a way to get into Windows Explorer but I found that I already have Norton set up like they are suggesting, I think.
    I have All users with Application Data under it then Symantec, then Common Client, Live Subscribe , Live Update and Norton Antivirus listed under Symantec.
    Is this not what they are telling me to do??
    The more I work on this the more confused I get....
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 02:17:28 PM by flyfisher »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 02:18:06 PM »
      flyfisher........do you know someone who is perhaps a bit more comfortable around computers than you are ....
      because ......the solution is there on the symantec site....
      Even better would be to get them on the phone and have one of their technicians talk you through it ........there are sveral toll free phone numbers posted on their site ..........   Heres the one I used ......1-877-832-2810 ..........( I'm in Canada , but they should give you the number to call in the USA )

BTW ...Norton is a good product even if it is a bit frustrating to get set up .

Hope this helps you .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

flyfisher

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 02:29:12 PM »
      Thanks for the reply, sorry to say I am it as far as computer users are at my house.  I have been the one to fix the problems and up until this mess I have done very well just by reading forums like this one and finding the cure for what is wrong with my computer.  I have held off calling them due to the fact they state phone help is at $30.00 a call, unless it is something wrong with the program and I don't think they will say that, if I knew what I was doing I could probably fix this myself so it would be me, not the program as far as they see it.
      But thanks for the help.