Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics card PS trouble  (Read 2842 times)

nublette

Topic Starter

Graphics card PS trouble
    « on: July 27, 2008, 03:15:20 PM »
    Heya guys. I recently bought a new computer, i made it from parts. It runs perfectly, but i wanted to upgrade the graphics and bought this Motherboard with integrated graphics.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=221899&doy=27m7

I bought this card>
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=224702&doy=27m7

I inserted it into the card slot and followed the instructions. then connected to my monitor first off. There was no signal.

So i checked the manufacturer's booklet again and it said in some cases it requires a PS to work, which it has a connector for, in the upper right corner of the card.

The trouble is, my motherboard's PSU only has a PS connector with this face setup that used to plug directly into the integrated graphics on the board>>

And what's required is this six-segment connector (Or at least the accepting female connector part is six-segmented). I tried to insert the cable all the same, but the shape of the connectors (4 pentagram-shaped with 2 square accepting connector points) does not allow for it.

The store is now closed and i won't be able to go back there for a few days or maybe longer, so i was wondering if anyone knew of an easier way to connect this, or what the name of the PS cable is with 6 segements is that i need, so i can order it online.

I know you're pretty busy and i appreciate any answers at all in regards to this post. Excuse the crappy MS Paint diagrams i knocked up, i hope they make it easier to understand. Thanks again in advance.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Graphics card PS trouble
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:10:21 PM »
    Idle thoughts here - nothing more.

If indeed this ext'l power connection is needed then another PSU might be in order. 

However, I recall when I added an ATI dual mon card to my Lenovo backup machine, I had to make a bios change so that the mobo on board graphics was in effect disabled.  I'd consider checking this latter aspect first and then if need be move on to the PS element.

I didn't go check out the Maplin info but am assuming the card was a recognized device when installed - ahh but no visual to confirm this of course.  Was it a straight PCI plugin or an AGP in fact.?
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

homer

Expert
      « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 12:22:44 AM »
      did your graphics card not come with PCI-E adapter cables that look something like this?

if not, you will either need to purchase the adapter or you will need to purchase a new PSU. what is the wattage rating of your current PSU?

nublette

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 02:34:41 AM »
        There were no adapter cables with the card and i had a feeling i'd need to upgrade the PSU, which is currently 600watt. I guess the easiest fix is to get a new PSU at 800watt and ensure it's got 6 pin on the connector if i can't find an adapter online (Which i probably will). Thanks a bunch for your replies guys, appreciate it. Have a good one.
        « Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:45:03 AM by nublette »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:49:48 AM »
        Do yourself a HUGE favor and don't buy a cheap 30 dollar PSU...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "