Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help With HP Pavillion dv9627cl  (Read 7321 times)

robertolmr

Help With HP Pavillion dv9627cl
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »
Someone please help before I throw this thing out the window.  I got the dv9627 and it had Vista- friend of mine said reinstall XP and it'll run better- little did I know that it isn't that  easy.  I finally got most of the things working right, but still have a problem with the ethernet network controller.  don't know how the heck to get that d@M$ exclamation point to go away. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 09:07:55 PM by patio »

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Help With HP Pavillion dv9627cl
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »
Maybe HERE
Driver - Network

S_R_S5

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:57:12 PM »
I have a pavilion as well and I lost internet and couldnt get it back but I found out it is a driver.
I don't know where to get the driver but look around and you'll find it.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:04:12 PM »
friend of mine said reinstall XP and it'll run better
I'd avoid this kind of advices.

Macgyver777

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 04:50:47 PM »
Hi, I have the same laptop, I found your post when searching for the drivers myself.  I chatted with HP support and told them the issue and this is the link they gave me:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3224049

They said, when searching for HP drivers you put the series, dv9000 in this case.  Then you put a t after it for Intel or z for AMD based.  Then you search by OS.  There are lots of drivers on this page but I think that is due to different hardware on the sub model numbers. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Toadbrooks

Rookie
  • Soldier, Paratrooper, & Jumpmaster
    « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:25:10 AM »
    friend of mine said reinstall XP and it'll run better
    I'd avoid this kind of advices.

Personally, I'd avoid advice from people who say not to change your hardware to suit you, rather than suiting Micro$oft or HP.

I have the same computer and had the same problem, except I wanted install Win2000. Drivers given in the message above mine are good and would probably have solved the problem, except that I had decided to switch to Linux, long before I found this thread and the better drivers.

I confirmed with a former HP tech that HP and many other manufacturers have started creating 1 or 2 hidden partitions on their drives and preloading the computers with adware. This is their right, and it's my right to take their adware off, once I've paid for and own the hardware. (Incidentally, this is also appearing in bare hard drives and USB drives. I strongly recommend repartitioning and reformatting any drive before it is first used.)

Among other things, these extra partitions make it hard to repartition the system or install another OS. To solve this, I took the drive out, put it in an external case, took the case to another system, and used that system to repartition and reformat the drive. Then I installed Win2000, although the drivers I had at the time did not perform quite right. As I said, I later replaced this with Linux.

If you choose to load XP, I hope (and expect) that you will have better luck. If you want to try Linux, I'm working on a simple document explaining how to do that to include loading a Windows API enabler which will allow Linux systems to run Windows software. If I can provide further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    Toad
    There ain't no justice; there's just us.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:08:14 AM »
    I confirmed with a former HP tech that HP and many other manufacturers have started creating 1 or 2 hidden partitions on their drives and preloading the computers with adware. This is their right, and it's my right to take their adware off, once I've paid for and own the hardware. (Incidentally, this is also appearing in bare hard drives and USB drives. I strongly recommend repartitioning and reformatting any drive before it is first used.)

Adware on a hidden partition would never be seen...this doesn't make sense.

Also i don't believe it is their right to install anything not neccessary for the machine to function properly, so i agree with you there but i think partitioning and formatting a brand new drive is a bit drastic for the ordinary user...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Toadbrooks

Rookie
      « Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:25:04 PM »

Also i don't believe it is their right to install anything not neccessary for the machine to function properly, so i agree with you there but i think partitioning and formatting a brand new drive is a bit drastic for the ordinary user...

As previously said, I confirmed this with an HP tech. Besides, the partition only has to be hidden from the partition manager - that does not prevent an appropriate program from accessing it anyway.

As far as bare hard drives and USB drives coming with adware preloaded, I have received 2 of the first and 1 of the second. Maybe you will be lucky and maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid than have to spend a few hours cleaning adware off my computer.

YMMV,
      Toad

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:10:14 PM »
      I wouldn't take the word of an HP tech if my life depended on it...again if it's on a hidden partition it's not gonna be seen  ....period.

As far as bare hard drives and USB drives coming with adware preloaded, I have received 2 of the first and 1 of the second. Maybe you will be lucky and maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid than have to spend a few hours cleaning adware off my computer.

This has never happened to me with either.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

h0w

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »
        well some times it gets to the point where the only option is to re-image the entire machine.. but my advice is either:
        1) download all of the drivers for your pc, and then put it on the disk and save it.

or

2) call the manufacturers customer service and ask for a their recovery disks for your type of pc.

Toadbrooks

Rookie
          « Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »
          I wouldn't take the word of an HP tech if my life depended on it...again if it's on a hidden partition it's not gonna be seen  ....period.

I guess the world is required to behave ONLY the way you have personally seen it. After all, you are the moderator. God forbid that ANYTHING should ever occur to anyone, anywhere that YOU haven't seen.

This has never happened to me with either.
          Gee, aren't you lucky? I guess since it's never happened to you, it's not possible.

Look, if you are trying to call me a liar, why don't you just kick me off the system and I'll go help someone else somewhere else. Meanwhile, of the two of us, I'm the one trying to help someone do what THEY want to do with their hardware, while you are the one hindering. Do you work for Microsloth or is this one of those forums where only the moderator is allowed to try to help people?

In other words, get off your ego trip.

Toadbrooks

Rookie
            « Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »

Also i don't believe it is their right to install anything not necessary for the machine to function properly, so i agree with you there but i think partitioning and formatting a brand new drive is a bit drastic for the ordinary user...

You made an assumption. Allow me to state again, "I confirmed with a former HP tech that HP and many other manufacturers have started creating 1 or 2 hidden partitions on their drives and preloading the computers with adware."

Nowhere did I say the adware was installed on the hidden partition. When I attempted to remove the partition, the manager showed two and wouldn't let me delete either one. When I extracted the drive, placed it in an external case, connected that case to a different Win2000 machine, it showed the 3rd partition.

I cannot say what the two additional partitions were for. My guess is that the hidden partition was what was keeping me from deleting the other two. The former HP tech I talked with confirmed that HP was attempting to make it hard to remove their installed system, although he either did not know how it was done or did not choose to reveal it.

Further, it ***IS*** HP's right to sell whatever they want to. They can sell elephant dung, if they wish. They can put a dead monkey inside of each computer they sell, if that's what they want to do. It's MY right to do anything I want with the hardware I own, and that includes taking off anything that HP put on it that I don't want on it. It's also my right to let HP and others know what they are doing, in hopes that HP will decide not to put adware on their machines, but that doesn't mean they have to agree with me.

In any case, I did remove the partitions as previously stated. Further, I was able to get Win2000 loaded, although the drivers were not quite correct. I later replaced that with Linux. I have the same machine as the original poster and I'm trying to help him get XP installed. So you can make whatever comments you want about how what I'm telling you could NOT have possibly happened, but that's not helping the original poster solve his problem.

To "robertolmr"

The HP DV9627 comes with 2 hard drives. I suggest that a solution to this question might be: 1) Download the drivers that Macgyver777 suggested. 2) Pull the 1st hard drive out and replace it with the second. Now you have a drive without funky partitioning, and without taking a chance on corrupting your current installation.  3) Install XP using the driver set you downloaded.

If you get it to work, then everyone is happy. If you don't, you can still put the original drive back in.

Best of luck,
            Toad
            « Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:50:02 PM by Toadbrooks »