Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: monitor or comp???  (Read 2146 times)

adamsgotowned

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

monitor or comp???
    « on: July 29, 2008, 01:19:47 PM »
    Im not extremely well informed about computers so if this is like something easy to fix dont be harsh.

Like two days ago i turned my comp on and it started loading up like usual with the dell screen coming up and such. About a couple seconds later the screen gets a wavy/fuzzyness to it then a few seconds later ( the time varys ) the screen will go black. The sound still works but the screen goes black. On occasion the screen will flicker back on with the fuzzy/wave to it but then will go back to black. For the last two days i have gotten the screen to come back up and work in like ten minutes, but now it just doesnt flicker on at all it just stays black.

Any help?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: monitor or comp???
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:41:30 PM »
    If it is a CRT monitor, I'd say the display is shot. If it is a LCD display, its interesting that it has wavyness, and could be a cable issue between computer and the display.

I'd say your likely looking at having to get a new display. Dell by the way generally is composed of cheap components that dont last more than a year or two before problems.

adamsgotowned

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »
      It's just strange I've had this computer and monitor longer then two years and it has never given me trouble in the past nor has it shown signs that it would have any trouble.

adamsgotowned

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 02:08:53 PM »
        Anyone ? please help?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »
          adamsgotowned,Before rushing out to spend your hard earned coin try the monitor on another computer.If it functions then guess what --that ain't it. Obviously check cables to your video connection. Then you may want to have a look at possible problems with your video card.Let us know how things progress with the monitor.truenorth