Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connecting to the Internet/DLL error  (Read 3627 times)

Joshua Kennington

Connecting to the Internet/DLL error
« on: February 25, 2005, 10:06:36 AM »
I am attempting to connect a computer to the Internet after it had been formatted. However, I need help doing so.

It concerns a V.90 56000BPS Voice/Fax/Modem (Internal) of either Rockwell or Motorola (I am not sure, I could not find a name on the PCI expansion card)

I am not quite certain if the original CD is still present. The 'diskette' that seems to have the drivers that the (incredibly) small installation guide refers to seems to be the CD.

The CD is called Computer Assocaties CTR21) and it comes with software, drivers and a manual.

I believe I managed to install proper drivers, but I know nothing about modems and do not know how to connect to the Internet.

I have been given software from Wanadoo (Dutch) and it worked before the computer was formatted (Barely, actually). However, once I attempt to install the software I get an error that says

Code: [Select]
OLEAUT32.dll version to old for this application. Please update your Windows OS with DCOM95 V1.3 or higher

This error occurs when I attempt to install PC Wizard 2005 as well.

The OS is Windows 98 (First Edition)

If I missed anything, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

R0SS

Re: Connecting to the Internet/DLL error
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 10:51:31 AM »
hey. Ok i think your problem is this  "DCOM95 V1.3"
If you cheak out this webpage it may help.  From what i gather "DCOM95" is a Windows 95 thing.

If that web adress does not help i think the only thing you can do is reformatting the HDD agian.

http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom95/dcom1_3.asp

But i wouldent yet. Wait till one of the clever guys like FLAME or DL65 answer this.

I doubt if i helped much ???

[glb]R0SS[/glb]

Joshua Kennington

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 11:31:35 AM »
Thank you, I have downloaded DCOM Win98 1.3. But I can not tell you if it will work or not until tommorow.

I could also use instructions on how to install a modem and identify the proper drivers. I do not know what the name of this modem is.

V.90 56000BPS Voice/Fax/Modem (Internal) of either Rockwell or Motorola

The drivers I have on the CD show a name that does not correspond with the one described above.

R0SS

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 12:09:28 PM »
Ok cool.

A V.90 i think thats a Dial up one that goes on hold evry time a phone call comes through.

To install a modem go to the control panel
the phone/modems options.

then advance and click add if it does not show in the list.

Hope this helps
R0SS
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 12:09:47 PM by R0SS »

R0SS

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 12:12:47 PM »
wait sorry.

Not advance. click on the tab "Modems" it should say somthing like AZTECH V.90 modem Attached to COM3.

If it doesnt then click add and follow the instructions.

R0SS

Joshua kennington

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 02:10:26 PM »
I need the correct drivers in order to do so, won't I? I have tried adding modems with certain drivers from the CD, but they did not seem proper.

Is there a guide on using Windows 98 to connect to the Internet through a dial up modem?

gussery

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 03:12:56 PM »
You really really really really need to determine the brand and model of modem you have and then get the correct drivers from a disk or the modem manufacturer.

Everything else is wasted time until you know you have the proper drivers.

Gary

Joshua Kennington

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 04:42:39 AM »
I believe it concerns a Motorola SM65 internal modem. I have E-mailed Motorola for advice and drivers.

Thank you for your time.

Joshua Kennington

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 04:59:06 AM »
I found the correct drivers and the modem can now (attempt to) dial in.

However, I am still uncertain of how to properly configure Windows 98 in order to allow me to dial into the Wanadoo (NL) Network.

I have tried checking the Wanadoo website, but they do not need some to have any details on how to configure Wanadoo Free.

Also, I (accidently) installed an update on the Internet Connection Wizard (1.4) and it prompted me to insert the Windows 98 CD, I did this and it could not locate any drivers. The second time I installed it again, and this time it did locate drivers.

However, after the damage had been done I continiously get an error stating that the device Nwisdon.VXD is missing from an .Ini file during startup.

How do I prevent this error from occuring?

On a side note:

When I attempted to access a DOS command prompt by using Windows (Either from Run or Accesoires) a blue screen of death came up, I did not write down the error report and I am not sure if it will return (I can not check at the moment) What could have happened?