Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wireless zero configuration  (Read 4787 times)

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
    wireless zero configuration
    « on: August 01, 2008, 06:05:29 AM »
    hello there

I have just installed the bt homehub 2.0 , i have it on a wireless connection, the setup was fine, but for one problem.

when i start the computer up, i keep having to start the wireless zero configuration (service) the startup type is automatic

as soon as i start the service it will connect to the router,but when you turn the computer back on again the service has stopped, any advice as to what this could be

windows xp
    windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
    2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: wireless zero configuration
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:11:50 AM »
    You only need the wireless zero configuration service if Windows is controlling the wireless connection. If the utility that came with your hardware is controlling the connection, the WZC service is not needed.

8)
    The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
      « Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:46:24 AM »
      I do not filly understand how it all works but when i do go to my pre installed network adapter, i carn;t seem to get anywhere

windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

2gb ram/32 bit/

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:16:15 AM »
      You lucked out. That's the same utility I have for my wireless card. Click the Options tabs and under Program Choice decide which program to use for your connection.

Personally I use the standard Windows XP utility. Also ensure the box under Automatic connections is checked.

You may have to reboot. The WZC should start automatically is you chose the Windows XP utility.

Good luck.  8)

-- Albert Einstein

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
        « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:07:46 AM »
        You lucked out. That's the same utility I have for my wireless card. Click the Options tabs and under Program Choice decide which program to use for your connection.

thanks for that sidewinder, just done that, seems to have started up ok and connected.

It was puzzeling me as to why i could not use the pre-installed network adapter.

i had it wired up BUT ALL I WAS GETTING was"windows cannot configure this connection" 

the pre-installed wireless software is preventing you from using the windows standard wireless software.
        Find the software on your computer , once you find this software, you can either use it to set up your wireless connection

but as you know when i found it i could not use it.
        as you said your locked out, but how do you use it if you wanted to or how do you get back into it ?   :)

2gb ram/32 bit/

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:34:37 AM »
        It was puzzeling me as to why i could not use the pre-installed network adapter.

i had it wired up BUT ALL I WAS GETTING was"windows cannot configure this connection"

Are you saying you have a network adapter built into your PC? If true, it should have worked out of the box. I was under the impression the Belkin adapter was external like a PCMCIA card.

Try opening Network Connections-->View Network Connections--> right click your wireless connection and click properties-->click the wireless network tab-->hightlight your network and click the properties button-->click the connection tab and ensure the checkbox for connect when network in range is checked.

There are faster ways of getting to the utility, but you never mentioned if you have access from the start menu.

just done that, seems to have started up ok and connected

I so do like good news.  8)

-- Albert Einstein

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
          « Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:10:03 AM »
          Are you saying you have a network adapter built into your PC? If true, it should have worked out of the box. I was under the impression the Belkin adapter was external like a PCMCIA card.

not sure what you mean by out of the box

but i did install a network wireless usb adapter, not for this bt home hub, i have just upgraded the router so i had one installed anyway

As i said this area is new to me so i am just learning about this, i.am still confused about why it just did not connect, i thought having a usb wireless network adapter
           would just connect to the new router

It did say use your wireless adapter's software to set up your connection

so i did go to the wireless adapter's software , and thats were i got stuck, i'am getting more confused, just thinking about it

what i did because i was not getting anywhere was to unistall the network adapter
          then reinstall it , and then some how i manage to connect to the router

when you are installing a new router do you have to install the wireless network adapter each time for that router

2gb ram/32 bit/

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 11:35:13 AM »
          It did say use your wireless adapter's software to set up your connection

That would be correct. The configuration of the new router would have to match adapter's configuration. Whatever security mode, authentication, encryption technique, and password is set on the adapter needs to be set in the router.

If you already uninstalled the adapter, install the router while wired to the PC. Then unplug the PC from the router, install the adapter and configure exactly as the router was. Leave until later any network protection until you have a basic network up and running.

The documentation that came with your equipment will have all the details.

8)

One thing I always found helpful is to broadcast your SSID in the router. Once the adapter finds the signal, you can disable this feature.

-- Albert Einstein

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
            « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:01 AM »
            hello sidewinder

I think i do still have a problem, just ran desktop help and this came up, and also (wzc) had stopped again, might have to set it up all again.

its all ok apart from the (WZC) STOPPING and having to start it again

2gb ram/32 bit/

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
            That would be my recommendation. Start over. Remember you don't need the WZC if you let the Belkin utility control the control the connection. Belkin has a nicer GUI and better graphics. Microsoft not so much.

Good luck.  8)

-- Albert Einstein

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
              « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 03:31:42 PM »
              That would be my recommendation. Start over. Remember you don't need the WZC if you let the Belkin utility control the control the connection. Belkin has a nicer GUI and better graphics. Microsoft not so much.

thanks sidewinder

could you just go over this for me again, how do i let the belkin utility control the connection

and would i have to bring the pc downstairs and use the ethernet cable, i would say i'am about 15 meters away from the hub

2gb ram/32 bit/

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
                disable belkins wireless connection manager
                « Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »
                hello

I have let windows manage my wireless connection.

So i was wondering i am not using the belkins wireless g usb network adapter wireless software or belkins wireless connection manager, is there an opotion to disable this wireless connection manager

I did disable the (bts) wireless adapter configurator, which is the BT wireless connection manager

thanks

windows xp

2gb ram/32 bit/